Fragrant, moist, and tender Orange Pound Cake flavored with freshly squeezed orange juice and zest. This easy recipe is a winner!
This is hands down the best cake recipe to prepare from scratch (with no cake mix!). With or without frosting, it is perfect for tea time, breakfast or as a simple dessert to bring with you for potlucks and picnics.
It’s indeed one of my very first recipes of the blog, for which I just refreshed the pictures, and one of my all-time favorite desserts. I baked it countless times and still today a few hundreds of recipes later on the blog, it’s always the one I go back to whenever I need to prepare a quick dessert for my friends. Because it’s easy, moist, and oh so good!
My favorite easy recipe
This orange pound cake is the perfect example. I have baked this recipe a hundred times already (probably more actually). It’s super easy, takes you 10 minutes max to prepare, and it tastes amazing: fragrant, moist, tender with a wonderful fresh and delicate taste of orange.
Almost every time I am invited somewhere at the very last minute and I am supposed to bring the dessert (yes, as a food blogger, your baking skills are often solicited) I go for this one. No need to go for a fancy recipe, often, simple is best!
I have so many great memories around this recipe… My favorite is when I baked it for breakfast last summer when my sister in law (Hi AL!) and her family were visiting us in Stockholm. On a very sunny morning, we all gathered around a large wooden table and shared this deliciously moist cake with the kids, enjoying simple moments of life – the best ones!
Make the recipe yours
And the good thing with this orange pound cake is that you can actually add a new twist to the recipe each time you bake it:
- A hint of cinnamon
- Some walnuts, almonds (finely chopped, or it will go right to the bottom of the loaf tin)
- Mini chocolate chips (same here, make sure they are mini or finely chopped)
Or melt one tablespoon of cocoa powder with half of the batter and it will become a wonderful marble cake. There are plenty of options depending on your mood, your tastes, and the ingredients you have at hand.
Can I use store-bought orange juice instead?
Yes you can. Depending on the size of the orange, you will need approximately 70-80ml store-bought orange juice for this recipe, about 1/3 cup.
But if you ask me, I always prefer to use the whole fruit, as you will need both the juice and the zest for this recipe. Freshly squeezed oranges make the cake perfectly moist, juicy and fragrant.
Easy baking recipes you may also like
- Perfect Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake
- Super Moist Buttermilk Banana Bread
- French Gâteau au Yaourt (A No-Measure Cake)
- Easy Fluffy American Pancakes
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
More orange recipesPrint
Fragrant, moist, and tender Orange Pound Cake flavored with freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest. This easy recipe is a winner!
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (160g) caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cup (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup (150g) salted butter
- 1 large orange (juice + zest)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 10 x 4.5-inch (25×10 cm) loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour with the baking powder, stirring well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and pour it into the batter.
- Juice and zest the fresh orange and incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
Tips: you can add your own twist to the recipe by using some chocolate chips, cinnamon, walnuts… Be creative!