This chocolate chip cookie mix in a jar makes the cutest homemade food gift for your friends and family. Add the free printable with recipe instructions to the jar; now all the recipient needs to do is add the wet ingredients and bake. Fun and easy!
Let’s make chocolate chip cookie mix in a jar today! This fun, entertaining and beautiful food DIY project makes an unexpensive and thoughtful gift for your family or friends. I’ve always been into homemade gifts (homemade chocolate granola, madeleines, crackers, you name it) and I never miss an occasion to prepare them. Whether it’s for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother’s Day or any other occasion, it is sure to make the recipient happy.
This cookie mix in a jar makes no exception – I mean, it’s cookies, right? Add all the dry ingredients in layers to the jar, apply the free printable for recipe instructions and let the recipient add the wet ingredients. This no chill cookie recipe comes together with absolutely no effort and yields the most delicious soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Now let me guide you through the steps to help you prepare your own cookie mix!
Before you get started
This is not your usual recipe, as it requires a little of investment in terms of equipment. No worries though, the equipment is 1/ very unexpensive, 2/ reusable for the recipient, making a great eco-friendly packaging.
Here’s what you need:
- A 32-ounce Mason Jar (940 ml)
- Cotton balls. You will use them to fill up the jar up to the top, filling out the space between the ingredients and the lid. This way, all layers will stay in place.
- Paper to print out the stickers. Regular paper will do (see below for instructions).
- Other accessories. You can add a lovely ribbon around the jar, and add a personalized tag with the recipient’s name and greeting words (Merry Christmas, Homemade with Love, etc.).
Ingredients for chocolate chip cookie mix
The ingredients listed below are the dry ingredients you need to build your cookie mix in a jar. Keep in mind that the recipient will have to add the wet ingredients (egg, butter, vanilla extract) before baking the cookies. Hence, the importance of the printable applied on the jar!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Old-fashioned rolled oats
- Light brown sugar, packed
- Granulated or caster sugar
- Chocolate chips*
* I use regular size semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe. But you could replace them with dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts) or even do a mix half and half (half white chocolate chip and half dried cranberries). Be creative and have fun, always!
How to prepare your cookie mix
Now that you have all your ingredients and equipment ready for the recipe, let’s get this fun food DIY project started! You’ll see, this cookie mix is ridiculously easy to prepare. All you need to do is pouring all the dry ingredients in successive layers in a jar:
- Start with pouring the flour mixture (flour combined with baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) at the bottom of the jar.
- Then, add successively layers of oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and chocolate chips.
Don’t forget to add the cotton balls up to the top of the jar to make sure layers stay in place. Then, put the lid on, add a lovely ribbon, the label with the baking instructions, and it’s ready!
Tips to get beautiful layers. You could use a spoon to layer, but if you want to have extra neat layers, I recommend adding the ingredients through a funnel or alternatively a piping bag. This method also prevents ingredients (in particular the flour mix) to splash out on the sides of the jar.
How long can you store your cookie mix in your pantry? As long as all of the ingredients are fresh, you can store your chocolate chip cookie mix in a cool, dry, and dark place for up to 6 months. If you are to use nuts in your cookie mix however, don’t store it longer than 3 months. Also, make sure that your baking soda isn’t going to expire anytime soon!
Download your free printable
Make sure you add the recipe instructions. To say it simply, the jars would make no sense to the gift recipient without instructions for baking the cookies. You could simply write the instructions by hand, or just use the free printable I created for you here.
Download the image above or print the PDF.
Now bake the cookies!
To the dry ingredients of the cookie mix, the recipient of the jar will need to add a few ingredients to bake a fresh batch of cookies:
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to? Mix together all the wet ingredients (egg, softened butter and vanilla) in a bowl and add them to the dry ones. Stir well until combined, then scoop out cookie balls using an ice cream scoop. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes in at 350°F (180°C). Note that this recipe does NOT require to chill the cookie dough, so you can literally have your cookies ready within minutes!
NB: This cookie mix yields about 18-20 cookies.
More edible gifts for your loved ones:
- 5 Easy Homemade Edible Gifts (+VIDEO)
- Almond Hazelnut Praline Paste
- Chocolate-Dipped Almond Florentines
- Pumpkin Spice Madeleines
- Spiced Pumpkin Butter
- Homemade Multiseed Crispbreads
And for the cookie lovers…
I have plenty of cookie recipes on the blog, and among them all I recommend the Chocolate Snickerdoodles, the Pecan Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies and my favorite the White Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodle Cookies, that are all perfect for the holidays. To go even further, make sure you check these 12 Fabulous Cookie Recipes.
Lastly, if you make this cookie mix in a jar, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!Print
This chocolate chip cookie mix in a jar makes the cutest homemade food gift for your friends and family. Don’t forget to add the free printable with recipe instructions.
For the jars*:
- 1½ cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (25g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (90g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- 1 quart (32 ounces/940 ml) size mason jar
- Cotton balls (optional but very useful)
* Gift recipient will add:
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the jars:
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour flour mixture into the bottom of a 1-quart jar. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon to form a flat layer, or use a funnel to have extra neat layers.
- Add a layer of oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, using the same method to pack it down in the jar. Lastly, add chocolate chips, and cover with cotton balls up to the top to make sure all layers stay in place.
- Seal jar tightly with a lid and affix the printed label**.
* To bake the cookies:
- Mix together softened butter, egg and vanilla until creamy. Add the wet ingredients to the cookie mix and stir until combine.
- Shape 2-inch balls, place on a prepared baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 8 minutes, or until just set.
NB: This recipe provides the ingredients necessary to fill one, 1-quart (32-ounces/940 ml) Mason jar.
* This cookie mix yields about 18-20 cookies.
** Make sure you download your free printable label with the baking instructions for the gift recipient. Alternatively, you can write the recipe instructions by hand. In any case, make sure you add the recipe instructions or the cookie mix makes just no sense for the gift recipient.
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix In A Jar