To all cookie addicts out there, get ready for a year of cookies: 12 fabulous cookie recipes coming your way! Soft, chewy, loaded with chocolate chips, there are NEVER too many cookies in our lives!
Back in 2019, I took up the challenge to develop and share a new cookie recipe every single month of the year. So 12 new cookie recipes in total. Chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, healthy cookies, vegan cookies, holiday cookies… There would be a favorite cookie for everyone!
After so many trials and errors, I learned a lot along the ways and developed a cookie obsession. The idea: create a new cookie recipe every month that would be absolutely perfect in both taste and texture and absolutely impossible to resist to, regardless if it was a decadent cookie or a health version. And believe me, I can be such a perfectionist when it comes to cookies.
In this article you will find:
- What makes a good cookie
- 12 fabulous cookie recipes (1 for each month)
- A bonus with other must-try cookie recipes!
One cookie recipe a month
Let’s start with some cookie basics
There are thousands of different cookie recipes, each with their specificities, but there are always some basic common ground to bake the best cookies.
Ingredients. Of course, ingredients vary a lot depending of the type of cookies you want to make, but we can all agree there are some basic ingredients we find in most cookies recipes.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda (and/or baking powder)
- Sugar (granulated sugar, light/brown sugar)
- And never forget the chocolate chunks!
Bakeware. The bakeware you need to bake the best cookies is nothing fancy, but it is very helpful to have all of it.
- A sheet pan
- A cooling rack
- A cookie scoop
- A silicon baking mat or parchment paper
Storage and conservation. The cookies easily keep for a few days in an airtight container stored at room temperature, and can also be frozen in a ziploc bag for up to 2 months!
Tips to land the best cookies
- Chilling the dough: Some recipes require chilling the dough, please don’t skip this step to prevent cookies from spreading out when cooking.
- Shape them into balls, ideally slightly higher than wide.
- Leave enough space between each cookie on the baking sheet (they must but about 2-inch apart).
- Baking time under control! Remove the cookies from the oven while still slightly under-baked, let sit for about 10 minutes on the baking sheet, they will continue to bake and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
12 fabulous cookies recipes
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
- Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Skinny Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Cookies
- Chocolate-Dipped Cookie Sticks
- Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Pecan Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Chocolate Snickerdoodles
For each one of these cookies recipes I will tell you how the cookies taste like, the key ingredients I used on top of the basic ingredients we usually need for a cookie recipe (see above) and when is the best time of the year to enjoy them although, let’s be honest any time of the year is a good time for cookies…
1. Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Soft, thick and generous hazelnut chocolate chunk cookies with rustic, hearty flavors and a perfect nutty texture.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Dark chocolate, hazelnut flour, chopped hazelnuts.
- Best time to enjoy them: This is my January recipe, with an earthy flavor and crunchy hazelnuts, they are great cookies for the fall and winter months!
2. Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Cookies – For those days when you can’t decide between a chocolate cake and a chocolate cookie, problem’s solved with the brownie cookie! Halfway between a brownie and a cookie, we keep the fudgy and slightly crispy texture, we keep the main ingredient (chocolate, naturally!), but it’s definitely in a bite-size cookie shape.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Dark chocolate, cocoa powder (unsweetened).
- Best time to enjoy them: They are perfect for Valentine’s day or anytime you want to say I love you.
3. Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies – They look like sandwich cookies or whoopie pie, and they taste like inside-out carrot cake muffins. Very moist and tender in the inside, with a generous layer of frosting.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Oats, carrots, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cream cheese.
- Best time to enjoy them: These are the perfect Easter cookies! But I also love to make them during fall as it is peak carrot season, and the spices blend is great for that time of the year.
4. Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – No eggs, no butter, and yet they taste exactly like your regular chocolate chip cookies. Isn’t it a dream come true?
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Vegan butter or margarine (instead of regular butter), Flaxseed (egg replacer).
- Best time to enjoy them: Anytime of the year!
5. Skinny Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
Skinny Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) – Expect here a very soft, thick cookie, not too sweet, with a lightly taste of coconut and loaded with chocolate chips.
- Key ingredients : For these cookies, we don’t use the usual basic ingredients but replace them with some healthier alternatives: Almond flour, shredded coconut, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Best time to enjoy them: Although I discovered these cookies at a Christmas market, they are good anytime of the year!
6. Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies – So yes, I did put vegetables in my cookies, and they taste just like your favorite Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread in a cookie. A melt-in-your-mouth bite that makes a perfectly tasty snack.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Zucchini, oats, pecan or walnuts, cinnamon.
- Best time to enjoy them: These cookies are perfect to use up extra zucchinis during summer months.
7. White Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Nut Cookies
White Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Nut Cookies – The ultimate white chocolate coconut macadamia nut cookies are chewy, nutty, buttery, with golden crisp edges and soft centers.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Macadamia nuts, white chocolate, shredded coconut.
- Best time to enjoy them: They would be lovely for Christmas!
8. Chocolate-Dipped Cookie Sticks
Chocolate-Dipped Cookie Sticks – They are chewy, slightly crispy, with an irresistible chocolate coating, and very easy to bake. Kids just looooove them!
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Only the basics here + mini chocolate chips!
- Best time to enjoy them: I love to make them for back to school time but they are so entertaining and festive that they work anytime of the year!
9. Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – Unlike most pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, they do not have a dry, cakey texture. Instead, expect a wonderful chewy cookie, perfectly soft and moist in the inside, with a slightly crispy top.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Pumpkin purée, pumpkin spice, cinnamon.
- Best time to enjoy them: Pumpkin season of course!
10. Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies – Perfectly soft and chewy in texture, with a slightly crunchy bite, they are to me the best oatmeal cookies you could possibly find.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Old-fashioned oats, chopped hazelnuts.
- Best time to enjoy them: Christmas and winter months are a great time to enjoy these hazelnut oatmeal cookies.
11. Pecan Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Pecan Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Expect the right balance of crunchy, soft and chewy, everything wrapped in a big, fat cookie, that is quick and easy to prepare.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Pecans, dark chocolate, bourbon.
- Best time to enjoy them: Holidays!
12. Chocolate Snickerdoodles
Chocolate Snickerdoodles (Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies) – Mexican hot chocolate made into a cookie! Here, cinnamon and cayenne pepper enhance the cocoa powder and bring a spicy touch to the cookies. The cookies remain soft, chewy and slightly crispy on top.
- Key ingredients on top of the basic ones: Unsweetened cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cream of tartar, freshly ground cardamom.
- Best time to enjoy them: These are definitely winter holidays cookies! Mostly for adults because they are a little bit spicy.
That was it: 12 fabulous cookie recipes, one recipe a month throughout 2019. Hungry for more? Stay with me and discover my bonus recipes!
Del’s other fabulous cookie recipes
The all-time favorite: Levain bakery
Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies – World’s Best Cookie Alert! A giant, thick cookie, crispy golden brown on the outside with a soft gooey center inside. To die for!
The family-size: Chocolate chip skillet cookie
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie – When a cookie is not enough, go for a giant chocolate chip skillet cookie to share, topped with ice cream and caramel sauce. Hmmm…!
Other kids approved and fun cookies for the family:
The most decadent: Hazelnut chocolate lava cookies
Hazelnut Chocolate Lava Cookies – Just imagine a warm chocolate chunk cookie coming out from the oven. The edge are slightly crispy, the center is soft and slightly under-baked, and the cookies also have a nutty texture of hazelnuts with a crunchy bite. Then you break it apart, and you have this molten core of chocolate coming out from the center. You get it right: it’s like a dream come true!
A couple drinks to pair with your cookies:
And next time, why don’t you try my brownies?
- Best Ever Vegan Fudge Brownies
- Coffee Brownie Cheesecake
- S’mores Chocolate & Salted Caramel Brownie
- Eggless Brownie Batter Dip with Cinnamon Pita Chips
Lastly, if one of these recipes turns out to be the best cookies you’ve ever made, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!