Creamy chili hot chocolate – This warm, comforting hot chocolate with hints of chili is not your average drink. Extremely thick and creamy, you will dream about it again and again!
Let’s take advantage of the chilly days out there to warm us up with a delicious homemade hot chocolate, rich, creamy, with intense chocolate flavors and a little spicy kick.
I’ve always been serious about hot chocolate. And I’m not talking about these cocoa drinks that are loaded with sugar and do not really taste chocolate. No, I’m talking about some serious stuff here! Years ago when I was living in Paris, I was obsessed with Angelina, that served an amazing hot chocolate, close to perfection. If you’ve never been, make sure you add it to your bucket list.
A creamy chili hot chocolate recipe…
To make a great hot chocolate, you need some high quality baking chocolate, alongside with other plain ingredients: milk and heavy cream. Whole milk is preferred but semi-skimmed milk can do to. Then of course, you need to play with the flavors! Here, the combination between vanilla, chili and cinnamon enhance the chocolate flavors in the most delicious way!
It might sound a little pretentious but I must admit I’m really proud of myself this time! You’ll find in this hot chocolate everything you are looking for: a delicious taste of chocolate of excellent quality balanced with the great taste of the milk and a slight hint of chili, all in a very creamy texture. Pure happiness. Or is it bliss?
For dark chocolate lovers
If like me you’re crazy about recipes with intense dark chocolate flavors, make sure you also try one or several recipes listed below:
- Dark Chocolate Fondant Cake
- Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Chocolate Pots de Crème
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Best Ever Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Coffee Meringue Pie
- Chocolate Mousse Raspberry Cake
Lastly, if you make this Creamy Chili Hot Chocolate, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!Print
This warm, comforting hot chocolate with hints of chili is not your average drink. Extremely thick and creamy, you will dream about it again and again!
- ½ vanilla pod
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 ounces (85g) 70% dark chocolate*, chopped
- ¾ cup (180 ml) heavy cream
- 1 stick cinnamon**
- ½ small chili pepper, seeded***
- Pour about ⅔ of the milk into a medium saucepan. Make a slit through the vanilla pod, scrape the seeds and add to the saucepan together with the vanilla pod. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a smaller saucepan placed on low heat, melt the chocolate together with the cream, stirring constantly to prevent chocolate from burning.
- Add the chocolate mixture into the first saucepan, and use the remaining 1/3 of milk to rinse out the chocolate saucepan. Add it to the main saucepan and give a good stir to make sure chocolate is well combined into the milk.
- Infuse cinnamon stick, chili, and simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat. Take out the chili, the cinnamon stick and the vanilla pod, and serve immediately in 2 bowls or cups.
* I recommend you use high quality baking dark chocolate, with a cocoa percentage of 70% or higher.
** Instead of cinnamon stick, you can use ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
*** If you don’t have a whole chili pepper, replace with just a pinch of ground chili pepper.
Important note: if you don’t like spicy food, you can omit chili (and even cinnamon) in the recipe. Feel free to add just a pinch of sea salt to balance the sweet flavors if you wish.
Keywords: Spicy Aztec Hot Chocolate