Decadent chocolate-hazelnut spread “Newtella” with real ingredients and no palm oil. Super easy to prepare, you’re gonna love it!
As far as I remember, I have always loved Nutella. As a kid, Nutella was almost my best friend for tea time and I used to spread it onto a crispy French baguette, or sometimes on top of some crêpes. Hopefully I didn’t live only for Nutella though, otherwise I would have driven my parents crazy who frowned upon the ingredients of the recipe.
Now that I am a grown-up (still weird to write it, it seems that I will be “young” without being a real grown-up forever!), I am actually very thankful to my parents since I really care about the ingredients I use. My boyfriend and I still love Nutella from time to time though and I don’t want to stop eating things I love, so I had to think seriously about making my own one!
The number one condition was to make it simple. You can find many different recipes to make your own chocolate hazelnut spread, but most of them have a very long list of ingredients and you get discouraged just by reading the recipe. Then you end up buying a new jar of Nutella while postponing the day you will make your own one.
Instead, I opted for a very easy chocolate spread recipe that everyone can make at home within 30 minutes. The only requirement is having a food processor. Then of course I used natural ingredients only and my “Newtella” is totally palm oil free!
What about the taste now? I know that all Nutella lovers will always be reluctant to try a fake Nutella, right? I
am was one of them and I wanted a result as close as possible to the one I was used to. This was a wrong idea! While tasting my homemade “Newtella” and comparing with the household Nutella, I understood that Nutella’s taste is actually mostly fat and undefined sweetness covering the real ingredients behind, while the homemade version really tastes of milk chocolate and hazelnut. It’s just not possible to compare them, it all depends on whether you want to eat right or to eat fake.
As for me, I am all in for the new homemade chocolate-hazelnut spread “Newtella”. Easy, quick, healthier and tastier. Hurray for the NEWTELLA!
- ⅔ cup (200g) hazelnuts
- 7 oz (200g) milk chocolate
- ⅔ cup (240g) liquid cream
- ⅔ cup (120g) brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp (30g) cacao powder (100% cacao)
- ½ cup (120g) hazelnut oil*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast them in a 350 F (180 C) oven, stirring a few times, for 10-15 minutes until the hazelnuts are roasted. Remove from the oven and transfer the hazelnuts onto a clean towel. Rub them vigorously inside the towel to remove any loose skins.
- Warm the cream, sugar, cacao and salt in a saucepan until it starts to boil. Remove from heat.
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath or in the microwave.
- In a food processor, grind the warm hazelnuts until they are as fine as possible. Add the melted chocolate and continue to process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the work bowl, as necessary.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the warm cream mixture and keep processing. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the hazelnut oil and process until everything is well-combined.
- Transfer the chocolate-hazelnut spread into one or two jars, depending on their size, and refrigerate until ready to use. You can remove the jars from the refrigerator a couple of hours before serving in order to obtain the desired smooth consistency.