Sweet and savory flavors meet in this summer quinoa salad with strawberries, feta cheese, and a subtle balsamic dressing.
This time of the year, strawberries pop up on every Swedish table, especially when Midsummer (this traditional and typical Swedish event that you have to experience at least once in your life – even more important than Christmas in this part of the world!) is approaching! I don’t really know why we find so many strawberries here (note to self: check it out) but it’s just impossible to miss them. They look gorgeous: colorful, juicy and full of natural goodness.
I already used strawberries in several desserts this year and I still have plenty of recipes in mind. Today though, I’m cooking up a sweet & salty salad. I have a crush for every sweet/salty flavor mix and I had fun to create this REALLY EASY recipe!
I started with a base of rainbow quinoa (a blend of white, red and black quinoa), to which I added the salty feta cheese and the sweet strawberries, in order to go up and down on the flavor scale. Then I just tossed in different ingredients according to my mood of the day. The perfect salad for Midsummer, eller hur? Feel free to adapt this salad to suit your mood too, and let your creativity shine!
- 2½ cups (150g) rainbow quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon hazelnuts
- 1 Tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon tree honey
- Salt and pepper
- 5.2 oz (150g) strawberries, rinsed and cut into pieces
- 5.2 oz (150g) feta cheese
- A handful of basil leaves
- For the quinoa: place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring approx. one cup water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and cook over low heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Let cool.
- In a small frying pan, slightly toast the hazelnuts for about 1 minute.
- For the dressing: mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large serving bowl, combine all the ingredients (strawberries, feta cheese, hazelnuts and quinoa) and decorate with some basil leaves.