After the success of my Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread, I’m back with another zucchini bread recipe. And let me tell you, I’m super excited about today’s recipe! I’ve been working on it for quite some time, looking for the absolute best lemon zucchini bread recipe. And because it features vegetables, it’d better healthy as well, without compromising the taste!
So what to expect in this lemon zucchini bread recipe? A sweet lemony taste, with a light and fluffy texture, with no eggs, no dairy, and less sugar than for a classic zucchini (or lemon) bread recipe. Even the lemon glaze is made healthier with no icing sugar and just a hint of maple syrup instead. To me, this lemon zucchini bread is one of the best way I know to sneak in just a few more veggies in your daily intake!
A lemon zucchini bread made healthy!
- Fiber rich ✔ I use one cup of shredded zucchini for the entire loaf, as well as some applesauce, making this lemon zucchini bread fiber rich.
- Less sugar ✔ The recipe calls for very little sugar, to which I added unsweetened applesauce that enhances the natural sweetness of the loaf. The glaze itself is very lightly sweetened with just one teaspoon of maple syrup and do not use icing sugar like most recipes call for.
- No eggs ✔ Look below for my perfect egg substitute in baking goods.
- No dairy ✔ No cream or such in this recipe. Instead, I simply used a little bit of coconut cream (the solid part of a can of coconut milk), which is entirely cholesterol-free.
Perfect egg substitute for fluffy cake
To me, this is the most exciting part of the recipe! I often used the combo ground flaxseed + water to make a vegan egg (like in this recipe and this one) but this time I wanted to use another magic trick: apple cider vinegar and baking soda as a replacement for one egg. The result makes a very light and fluffy texture, just perfect for a cake or bread recipe.
Because the recipe called for 2 eggs, I used one vinegar + baking soda egg, and a little bit of unsweetened applesauce to make the other vegan egg. I did not want to use too much vinegar or baking soda in one single recipe by simply doubling the quantities and found that this combo worked beautifully!
Egg substitute in baking: baking soda + vinegar
Combining a basic agent (baking soda) with an acid (apple cider or white vinegar) creates a leavening reaction that makes a perfect fluffy texture in your vegan cake recipes without altering the original taste of the recipe.
1 egg = 1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
How to? Add the baking soda to the dry ingredients and the apple cider vinegar to the wet ingredients when following the original recipe.
NB: Note that this combination of vinegar and baking soda is best to use in recipes that call for just 1 egg, as the more the vinegar you use the more he cake will smell vinegary.
A few words about the healthier lemon glaze
Unlike most recipes, this lemon glaze doesn’t use icing sugar. Instead, I recreated a healthier glaze texture with just a little bit of cornstarch, coconut oil, lemon juice and maple syrup.
Note that like for most cake recipes, the glazing part is totally optional. That being said, I like this light glaze on top as it adds sweet notes to the recipe and makes the bread ultra moist.
I was seriously amazed by the result of the recipe. This lemon zucchini bread is just perfectly balanced, not too sweet, not too heavy but on the contrary perfectly light and fluffy. Sorry guys, I think I have to leave you there, writing this post made me hungry for another slice (true story)!
More healthy vegan treats:
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Flaxseed
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Vegan Fudge Brownies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Blondies (Refined sugar free)
Other loaf and bread recipes you’ll love:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Banana Bread (Super Moist)
- Best Pumpkin Bread
- Healthy Whole Wheat Apple Bread
Lastly, if you make this Healthy Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!Print
This healthy vegan lemon zucchini bread is light, fluffy and perfectly tender, with a subtle lemon glaze. Halfway between the zucchini bread and the lemon loaf, it’s the best of both made healthy!
For the lemon zucchini bread:
- 1 ⅔ cup (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zests
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil, neutral in taste (canola, sunflower…)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut cream*
- ¼ cup (60 ml) applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup (150g) shredded zucchini
For the sugar-less glaze:
- 1 Tablespoon cornstach
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, lemon zest and juice, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, coconut cream and applesauce, until texture is smooth.
- Whisk in the wet ingredients into the dry ones, and stir until combined.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the zucchini until evenly spread throughout. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, scraping down the sides.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 – 50 minutes. Let cool in baking pan for a few minutes then invert into a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl, and drizzle over the cooled lemon zucchini bread. Let set.
* Use the solid part of a can of coconut oil only.
Keywords: vegan lemon zucchini bread