Perfect vegan banana bread has a light and moist texture, holds its shape beautifully, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up with just a few basic ingredients. This is by far the best vegan banana bread recipe you could ever dream of!
I’ve long been a nerd about banana breads, always searching for this perfect moist texture, and it took me years until I developed my Super Moist Buttermilk Banana Bread. The recipe has now become an iconic recipe from the blog (together with my Easy Fluffy Pancakes) and the go-to banana bread recipe for so many of my readers by now. Given the tremendous success of my banana bread, I also developed a chocolate version and spent countless of hours working a vegan version of my classic banana bread that would have the exact same moist texture.
To this day, I tried countless of vegan banana breads but for some reason they always left me half satisfied. They were either too dense, too dry or on the opposite too sunken in the middle and couldn’t hold their shape. None of them were good enough for me and I kept trying the recipes until I get this super moist and fluffy texture I get in my classic banana bread that you love so much.
This vegan banana bread is:
- Super moist ✔
- Light & airy ✔
- Slightly sweetened ✔
- Quick & easy to make ✔
- Vegan ✔
- Gluten-less ✔
- Healthy~ish ✔
How to make the perfect vegan banana bread?
To me, the perfect vegan banana bread needs to be as close as possible to the classic banana bread both in taste and in texture. It also needs to be equally simple to prepare, with no fuss ingredients.
First, you need to gather your “wet” ingredients. Note that there is no eggs and no dairy ingredients in this recipe. In my classic banana bread, the moist texture would mostly comes from the buttermilk and the egg. I tried to replace them with vegan buttermilk and a flaxseed egg; the taste was fine but the texture didn’t convince me. So I simply used vegetable milk (almond, soy, hazelnut… choose your favorite) and replaced the egg and melted butter at once with the use of vegetable oil (use canola oil if you can).
Then, mix dry ingredients together. Note here that instead of all-purpose flour only, I cut it with almond flour or almond meal (that I combine with the moist ingredients). This increases the fiber content of the banana bread and makes it less rich in gluten. Don’t forget the leavening agents (baking powder, baking soda) and a pinch of salt for taste.
Combine! But do not overmix. It’s ok to have just a few pieces of roughly mashed bananas in the batter. Then, my secret to get the fluffy texture consists in letting the batter sit for just a couple of minutes before baking it. If you are in the rush, you can totally skip this step and it will be just fine. But if you’re looking for perfection, it’s worth the try.
Now, bake your vegan banana bread! Depending on your oven, look for a 50-60 minute window and keep an eye close. When a toothpick inserted in its center comes out clean, the bread is ready!
More healthy recipes with bananas*:
- Banana Bread Donuts with Cashew Frosting (Vegan)
- Quick Oatmeal-Banana Blender Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan)
- Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Muffins
If you want to explore a little bit more and have a few ripe bananas you need to use, make sure you check these All-Time Best Banana Recipes. Whether you are looking for dessert recipe ideas or healthy breakfast and snack ideas, you will go bananas for these recipes!
Also, don’t forget to try my Healthy Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread for a burst of refreshing flavors!
* Vegan banana recipes mentioned in parenthesis.
Perfect vegan banana bread has a light and moist texture, holds its shape beautifully, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up!
- 3 medium ripe bananas*, mashed with a fork
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil, neutral in taste**
- ¼ cup (60 ml) almond milk
- ½ cup (50g) almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup (150g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/3 cup (40g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease the bottom and the sides of a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with sugar, vegetable oil, almond milk and almond flour. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix until just combined (do not overmix), and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour in the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in its center comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
* If your bananas are huge, use only 2 large ripe bananas instead of 3 medium ones.
** I used canola oil.
Keywords: Perfect Vegan Banana Bread