It’s Fall, which means the season for soups has started! I suggest you begin with this very creamy mushrooms soup, as a starter or as the main meal with a piece of bread.
Autumn is such a beautiful and colorful season in Sweden. As far as I can remember I never liked this season that much before moving to Sweden. Nature puts on a colorful display of vivid reds and oranges and it’s a pleasure to go for a walk in the woods and pick some mushrooms.
Whereas in France we barely dare pick unknown mushrooms in the woods without checking at the local drugstore whether they are edible, in Sweden on the contrary, people learn how to recognize them from an early age.
I recently bought a mushroom guide which teaches you how to recognize the different species and the ones which are slightly different but not edible. I have not tried to go pick mushrooms in the woods yet, but my friends Laure and Vincent did! Here is a basket of their bountiful picking of funnel chanterelles (trattkantareller in Swedish). Don’t they look beautiful?
Whether you decide to pick your own mushrooms in the woods or to buy them at the market, it’s always a good time to whip up a mushroom recipe! There are plenty of them, but today I was tempted by a creamy mushroom soup, the kind which warms you up and make you feel in total harmony with the season. Eat it very warm and enjoy this sumptuous creamy mushroom soup. The wine and shallots lend it a rich and almost luxurious taste.
- 4 cups (600g) mushrooms (chanterelles, wild mushrooms...)
- 4 Tablespoons (60g) butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 or 4 shallots
- 3.4 fl.oz. (10 cl) dry white wine
- 3 cups (720 ml) broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) finely chopped thyme (set some aside for decorating)
- 6¾ fl. oz (200 ml) cream
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Rinse mushrooms and fry them in 2 Tablespoons butter until they turn golden in color. Season with salt. Set aside some mushrooms for decoration.
- Peel and mince the shallots. Stir-fry them with 2 Tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Pour the wine and let it boil into the shallots. Add mushrooms, broth, chicken bouillon cube and thyme. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Pour the cream in the soup and mix with a hand blender. Season with pepper. Top the soup with the leftover muhrooms and garnish with thyme. Enjoy the soup very warm with a glass of chilled white wine.