Did you ever combine onions and ricotta cheese together in a pie? I’ve got to tell you, the flavors are so rich that I just had to dub this pie “extravagant”. The honey-carmelized onions with the ricotta cheese melt in your mouth and… well, I just love it.
I added some anchovies as well, which increase the sweet & salty taste of the dish. However, you can skip them and enjoy the pie as a simple association of onions and ricotta. A great vegetarian dish with a tasty crust made from scratch with whole-wheat flour.Print
Did you ever combine onions and ricotta cheese together in a pie? I’ve got to tell you, the flavors are so rich that I just had to dub this pie “extravagant”. The honey-caramelized onions with the ricotta cheese melt in your mouth and… well, I just love it.
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups (240g) whole-wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (100ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (100ml) water, lukewarm
For the filling:
- 4 large onions
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) thyme honey (or flower honey)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5g) red chilli powder
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 small handful pine nuts
- 1 cup (240g) ricotta cheese
- 8 small anchovy fillets (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C) and grease a pie dish with oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crust until they stick together and form a thick dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Peel and finely slice the onions. Stir-fry them in a pan with some olive oil until they become slightly golden. Add the honey and 2 teaspoons of water. Cook 10 minutes on low heat. Add salt, pepper and red chilli powder. Set aside.
- Chop the basil leaves and mix with pine nuts and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Roll out the dough into a large disk and place into the prepared pie dish. Prebake the crust for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spread the pesto over the crust, add the ricotta, the caramelized onions and the anchovies if using and put back in the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes, depending on if you want your tart warm or lukewarm.