These fancy crepes filled with a delicious exotic filling consisting of chocolate, mango and coconut are tied up with a lovely ribbon around. Aren’t they the prettiest?
Do you like crêpes, pancakes or whatever it is called? I know you do. Who doesn’t? There are so many different recipes that you can have fun for an entire month or more, trying out new recipes or plenty of different yummy fillings each time.
Here’s a recipe of French crêpes that I made for the French Battle Food #9 organised by Des recettes à gogo and in which we had to associate in one single pastry some fruits and chocolate. Instead of baking a cake or a pie, I thought it would be fun to make crêpes and fill them with these ingredients. I’ve been thinking of this recipe for a while now and I eventually tried it for my guests last weekend (hi guys!) since it was the French Pancake Day.
As you may know, the French crêpes are much thinner than the American pancakes and a bit larger as well. It makes them more supple and you can fold them the way you want after filling them. The idea of the filling of this recipe came up while I was backpacking in the Caribbean a few weeks ago. I couldn’t get enough with all the delicious exotic fruits and I figured the trio mango-coco-white chocolate would be awesome!
Then you just need to tie the crêpe into a bunch with a nice ribbon and your recipe looks good. The hot chocolate sauce adds something extraordinary to the recipe, so of course you can skip it but I would recommend you not to.
I’m really happy to take part in a French Battle Food for the 3rd time now (see my previous recipes Creamy Chilli Hot Chocolate and Pumpkin & Walnut Tartine with Blue Cheese). It is always a great event with all the bloggers and the food community. Thank you so much Gordana for organizing this event! You will also find the list of all the participants in the French version by clicking here.
- ¾ cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (60g) cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk, or more if needed
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ Tbsp rum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 3.5 oz (100g) white chocolate
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1½ Tbsp coconut grated coconut
- 4 oz (120g) dark chocolate, at 70% cocoa
- 3 Tbsp whipping cream
- Crushed pistachios
- For the crepes: in a medium size bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch together. Pour in the milk, little by little, stirring constantly. Whisk in the eggs, sugar, rum, and vegetable oil. Add a pinch of salt. Mix all the ingredients and chill for minimum 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle. Cook crepes on both sides and set aside on a plate (make a stack).
- For the white chocolate ganache: melt the white chocolate with the heavy cream in the microwave.
- To prepare the beggar's purse, dispose about 1 tablespoon of diced mango in the center of the crepe. Add 1 tablespoon of white chocolate ganache, and drizzle some grated coconut over. Tie the crepe into a bunch using a ribbon or some strings.
- For serving: prepare the chocolate sauce by melting dark chocolate and whipping cream. Pour the sauce in a small plate, then dispose the purse in the middle and sprinkle some crushed pistachios. Serve immediately.