This easy Thai sweet potato soup with red curry is spicy, fragrant and packed with comforting flavors that makes it perfect for a cold night. It’s also naturally vegan, gluten-free, and relatively healthy too!
It’s no secret, soup is this oh-so-cozy dish I like to warm up with when it gets cold outside. And given my French background, plant-based soups always win. This sweet potato soup with an Asian twist is no exception. It is SO colorful, loaded with nutritious ingredients with bold and slightly spicy flavors, and leaves you full and satisfied until the next meal.
Ingredients for a Thai sweet potato soup
- Sweet potatoes: I use 3 small ones or 2 medium ones, but if you want to be exact with the proportions, use 4 cups diced potatoes (about 600g).
- Red bell peppers: They add some color to the soup and provide a great amount of vitamin C (did you know that one medium-sized red bell pepper provides 169% of the reference daily intake for vitamin C?).
- Red curry paste: It brings the bold, spicy flavors to the soup.
- Creamy peanut butter: Yes, I use peanut butter in my soup and I love it! You could also use cashew butter or almond butter instead if you prefer the soup more neutral in taste.
- Coconut milk: It’s creamy, comforting, and vegan.
- Soy sauce + fresh ginger: for taste, mostly. Soy sauce adds some salty flavors to the soup that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of sweet potatoes and ginger some freshness to the recipe. It’s all a matter of balance between flavors.
The details to make this soup
Now that you get all the ingredients, you can quickly make this soup to have it ready for dinner tonight. Simply sauté all the vegetables with a little bit of oil in a heavy pot. Once fragrant, add the curry paste, all the liquid ingredients and let them simmer for about 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
When ready, blend all the ingredients, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remember that you can also adjust the creaminess of the soup as it suits you best, adding more or less vegetable broth to the recipe. I personally like it thick enough but still light and creamy.
All the Thai flavors in this soup…
If you’ve tried Thai food before (which I’m sure you have), you will recognize the bold and spicy flavors of a creamy Thai red curry sauce that harmoniously melt together with the red bell peppers and the earthy sweet potatoes. Each spoonful of this Thai soup provides a velvety mouthfeel and takes your taste buds on an adventure.
To add a little extra texture and even more flavors, you can top the soup with fresh cilantro, toasted peanuts or cashews. For the final touch, I also love a squeeze of lime to each serving.
Not into spicy food? I use 2 Tablespoons of red curry paste in this recipe, which I find great to my tastes. If you’re afraid that the soup will be too spicy, feel free to use a little less, maybe starting with half a Tablespoon or one Tablespoon. Also, keep in mind that spicy flavors tend to develop with time, so every time you warm up the soup again, it will potentially become a little bit more spicy.
More vegetarian Thai-inspired recipes:
- Best Easy Vegan Pad Thai
- Creamy Thai Pumpkin Curry
- Thai Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Vegan Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Quinoa Pad Thai Salad
- Thai Green Curry Vegan Meatballs
If you like sweet potatoes:
- Quick Sweet Potato Fries
- Nourishing Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
- Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
This easy Thai sweet potato soup with red curry is spicy, fragrant and packed with comforting flavors that makes it perfect for a cold night.
For the soup:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, diced (about 4 cups/600g)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 to 6 cups (1L-1.5L) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (65g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 13-ounces (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Peanuts, slightly toasted and crushed
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onions, garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper and sauté on medium-high for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, and cook until fragrant. Add the broth, peanut butter, coconut milk, and soy sauce, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add soup to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy, adding more vegetable broth if desired to adjust the thickness of the soup. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with toasted peanuts, fresh cilantro and juice the lime over each bowl. Enjoy!
Keywords: Thai sweet potato soup