This easy pumpkin oatmeal is like having pumpkin pie for breakfast! Prepared with real pumpkin puree, warm spices and oats, this oatmeal is ready in 5 minutes and makes a cozy and healthy breakfast recipe.
Cozy up with a warm and comforting fall inspired breakfast. This easy pumpkin oatmeal tastes like pumpkin pie! Creamy and subtly sweetened, it is packed with cinnamon and warm fall spice. You can even top it with pecans for the ultimate fall treat.
This pumpkin oatmeal is also perfect to use up any pumpkin leftovers you may have if you make these pumpkin cinnamon rolls, pumpkin pancakes or this brown butter pumpkin bread. Easy to make on the stovetop in 5 minutes, pumpkin oatmeal makes a delicious healthy and wholesome breakfast. Try it and let me know what you think.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Ingredients
- Rolled oats. I recommend old-fashioned oats to make oatmeal. Quick oats can work too, but they retain less of their texture and often cook up mushy.
- Pumpkin puree. Make sure you use real pumpkin puree if you purchase it canned. Alternatively, you can make your own pumpkin puree by simply cooking pumpkin in boiling water until soft and blend it.
- Milk/water. For a lighter version, I like to use both milk and water to make oatmeal. You could also use dairy-free milk or vegetable milk of choice.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, salt. You could use cinnamon only or use a pumpkin spice mix instead. Don’t forget to add a pinch of salt to bring up all the flavors.
- Brown sugar. It enhances the pumpkin flavors and makes the oatmeal taste like pumpkin pie.
How to make pumpkin oatmeal?
- Combine oats, water and milk in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, spices, and add a pinch of salt and cook for 1 more minute.
- Lastly, add brown sugar, give a good stir, and serve with pecans and maple syrup.
Topping variations and dietary restrictions
Topping variations. I like to top this pumpkin oatmeal with pecans and/or pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Alternatively, you can add some mini chocolate chips, cranberries, or a dollop of nut butter.
Dietary restrictions. Be sure to choose oats that are labelled gluten-free to make this pumpkin oatmeal gluten-free. For a vegan version, replace milk with any vegetable milk of choice (almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, etc.).
How to store pumpkin oatmeal?
Leftover oatmeal can be stored in refrigerator in an airtight container or mason jars for about 5 days. It makes an easy grab-and-go breakfast during the week. You can then warm up in the microwave, stirring after each 30 second intervals. Alternatively, you can reheat on the stovetop over low heat, adding a splash of milk or water.
More oatmeal recipes you’ll love:
Try these other breakfast recipes:
- Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Scones
- Swedish Cinnamon Rolls “Kanelbullar”
- Easy Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- Brioche French Toast Casserole
- Easy Chocolate Brioche Buns
Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American recipes
This easy pumpkin oatmeal is like having pumpkin pie for breakfast! Prepared with real pumpkin puree, warm spices and oats, this cozy breakfast recipe is ready in 5 minutes.
- 1 cup (90g) old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk
- ½ cup (120g) pumpkin purée
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Pecans and/or pumpkin seeds, for serving
- Combine oats, water and milk in a small saucepan placed over medium heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency is reached, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir well.
- Pour oatmeal into serving bowls, top with pecans and/or pumpkin seeds, and generously drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!
* You can also replace cinnamon and nutmeg with ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice mix, or use cinnamon only.
Keywords: Pumpkin Oatmeal
Did you make this recipe?
Lastly, if you make this Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal, be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!