Every year around Christmas, it’s time for mulled wine gatherings in many houses. These events are, to me, strongly linked to different spices and scents like cinnamon, star anise or cloves…
A beautiful cake, deliciously flavored with Christmas spices!
For the cinnamon cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240g) butter, melted
- 1 ¾ cup (210g) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) honey
- 1 ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
For the Orange glaze:
- ½ orange (juice)
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sliced almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Separate the egg white from the yolk. Whisk yolks with sugar until you get a foamy consistency. Add the melted butter, almond flour, wheat flour, yeast, honey and cinnamon and stir together.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Add to the batter and stir.
- Pour the batter in a mold and bake for 50 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Let cool on a rack.
- Prepare the Orange glaze: whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, the icing sugar and the cinnamon. Pour over the cooled cake. Decorate with sliced almonds.