Quick and healthy vegan toasts with sautéed spinach with garlic, smoked tofu, mushrooms and a creamy lemony tahini sauce.
Once in a while, I make toasts for dinner. Or lunch. But they could also work for breakfast or brunch. Indeed, anytime of the day is fine for toasts in my opinion. I love toasts as I’m a huge bread lover. I grew up with bread and if there is one thing I could never give up in life is bread. I know, I sound so French saying that! There are endless different breads in the world, but my favorite are sourdough bread, dark bread, and baguette of course.
I can enjoy bread plain, as French do when they are on their way back from the bakery and already grab the tip of their freshly baked baguette even before they reach home, or I can enjoy it with butter as Swedes do as a starter (they do not eat bread during their meal but before only), or I can have my bread with any sweet or savory topping, spread, or cheese. There is indeed never a single day without bread in my house, even though I have been living abroad for almost 8 years now. Bread is definitely part of my life.
There are always good reasons to enjoy toasts: they are quick and easy to prepare, require minimum ingredients, and you can make them healthy most of the time. Among my favorite toasts or tartines (whatever you like to name it), there are:
- Simple Beet Avocado Toasts
- Tahini Sun-Dried Tomato Toasts (vegan)
- Spring Vegetables and Ricotta Tartines
- Pumpkin and Walnut Tahini Tartines with Blue Cheese
- (Not to forget the Savory French Toasts with Kale and Balsamic Onion Jam and the sweet version with the Strawberry French Toasts! French toast is another story but still made out of bread!)
And it seems I haven’t said my last word as I’m back today with a new savory toast recipe that I recently become a new favorite of mine. Spinach, mushrooms and smoked tofu are the main ingredients here. All you need is to sauté them together and throw them on top of a generous slice of bread on which you spread a lemony tahini sauce. Sprinkle some pine nuts and it’s done. Easy, right?
What I love about these quick spinach and smoked tofu tahini toasts:
- They are vegan, made with veggies mostly
- They are healthy, with almost no cholesterol
- They are wholesome and fulfilling
- They are slightly spicy, thanks to the smoked tofu*
- They are super quick and easy to make
* I chose here to use some ready-to-use smoked tofu, organic labelled as I am extremely careful with the origin of tofu I purchase. You could also smoke your tofu yourself if you wish, or simply marinate it with some paprika or a chipotle. It will take you a little bit longer to prepare but you have a better control over the ingredients you choose to use.
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (450g) baby spinach
- 1 cup (150g) mushrooms, chopped
- 3.5 oz (100g) smoked tofu, diced*
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1½ Tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, mix tahini sauce, lemon juice, and a little bit of water if too thick. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet and sauté spinach and mushrooms together for 1 or 2 minutes. Add smoked tofu, garlic, salt and pepper, and toss well. Transfer to a shallow dish and set aside.
- Assemble the toasts: spread tahini sauce, top with the sautéed vegetables, and sprinkle some toasted pine nuts. Add freshly ground pepper, paprika, and serve immediately.