Summer is almost over and little by little we introduce new seasonal fruits and vegetables in our diet as the fall season gets closer. Among them, pear and apples are queens!
What I love with these two fruits is that they are very healthy and there are endless possibilities to cook or bake them. When I moved to Sweden a few years ago, I discovered cardamom, which soon became my favorite spice. I paired it once with apples in a lovely Apple and Cardamom Tartlet and the result was just divine.
This time I went for a new apple recipe, grabbing fruits I had at hand (meaning both apple and pears) and whipping up a delicious almond filling or frangipane. At the last minute I added some fresh ground cardamom, that brought a very refreshing taste to the almond filling.
Then for the final touch, I brushed them with a honey glaze. This gives a sweet taste to the fruits as well as a shiny color. When baking, every detail is important!
Enjoy these little beauties with a red berry coulis (with red currants if possible) or with some whipped cream with vanilla on the side, and say Hi to the new season!
- 2½ cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup (125g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp liquid cream
- 1 tsp freshly grounded cardamom
- 1 vanilla pod (seeds)
- 3 medium apples
- 3 medium pears
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- For the pie crust: sift the flour in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until you get a soft bread crumb texture, then add the egg. Work until the crumb mixture comes together to form a firm dough. Roll out the dough and cut into circles roughly 3.9 inch (10 cm) in diameter. Lay them into small tins.
- For the filling: in a blender or a food processor, mix the almonds together with the icing sugar, the granulated sugar and the cream. Add some water if needed. Add in the vanilla seeds and the fresh ground cardamom. Stir well and fill in the small tins
- For the fruits: peel, core and slice the apples and the pears. Arrange them on top of the tartlets, alternating apple and pear slices.
- Stir water and honey together and brush the apple and pears with this mixture.
- Bake at 400F for about 20-25 minutes. Serve with a red berry coulis or with whipped cream with vanilla.