Pear and apple duo on a bed of almond cream with a hint of cardamom. A lovely dessert to enjoy during the fall season or anytime of the year!
For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (125g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
For the filling:
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 2 Tablespoons icing sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon liquid cream
- 1 vanilla pod (seeds)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grounded cardamom
For the topping:
- 3 medium apples
- 3 medium pears
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- For the pie crust: sift the flour in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until you get a soft bread crumb texture, then add the egg. Work until the crumb mixture comes together to form a firm dough. Roll out the dough and cut into circles roughly 3.9 inch (10 cm) in diameter. Lay them into small tins.
- For the filling: in a blender or a food processor, mix the almonds together with the icing sugar, the granulated sugar and the cream. Add some water if needed. Add in the vanilla seeds and the fresh ground cardamom. Stir well and fill in the small tins
- For the fruits: peel, core and slice the apples and the pears. Arrange them on top of the tartlets, alternating apple and pear slices.
- Stir water and honey together and brush the apple and pears with this mixture.
- Bake at 400F for about 20-25 minutes. Serve with a red berry coulis or with whipped cream with vanilla.
For the red berry coulis, have a look at my recipe here: http://www.delscookingtwist.com/2015/04/15/white-chocolate-cake-with-raspberry-coulis/