As you might remember, this month I suggest a five course menu for Christmas on the blog. We started last week with some smoked salmon choux puffs with a horseradish cream as an appetizer. Let’s discover today the second dish: a ravishing salmon tartare with avocado and mango!
I have been dreaming of this dish for a while already. And for some reasons I postponed my recipe many times because of a lack of courage (yes it happens when you are a food blogger as well!), or rather by fear of failing. It makes me smile today, because this salmon tartare is actually a very simple recipe after all. The combination of the trio salmon-avocado-mango is just perfect while the overall dish is enhanced by the slightly spicy lemon marinade.
Then all the twist is about the presentation of the tartare on the plate. Three elegant circles stacked on top of each other, it looks quite fancy and your guests will feel very special.
Choosing this salmon tartare as a starter for Christmas is a great option: on one hand the tartare is quite light so that you don’t feel too heavy for the upcoming courses, and on the other hand it whets the appetite and gives some style to the entire menu!
- 14 oz (400g) salmon filets
- 4 avocados
- 17 oz (500g) mango
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons (juice + zests)
- ½ small chili pepper, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chives, minced
- Salt & pepper
- Cut salmon into cubes, as well as the avocados and the mangoes. Place into 3 different medium-sized bowls, one for each ingredient.
- In a small bowl, prepare the marinade with the olive oil, the lemon juice and zests. Add in the crushed garlic, the minced chili pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Pour ⅔ of the marinade over the diced salmon and add in the sesame seeds. Cool for minimum 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Divide the remaining ⅓ of marinade into two and pour evenly over the diced avocados and the diced mangoes respectively. Drain the mangoes in a sieve to prevent them from being too juicy.
- Set up in the plate directly, using a stainless steel round form, starting with the layer of mangos, then the avocado layer and eventually the salmon one. Decorate with some chives on top and serve immediately!