Adopt the Nordic experience with this authentic salmon burger with a subtle sauce made of shrimp, capers, green apples, and red onions.
The weather has been very warm in Sweden lately. I haven’t witnessed such a great summer since I moved here in 2010. Back then, I had experienced both an authentic cold very snowy winter and an amazing summer with beautiful and very warm days. Who said Sweden was a cold and dark country? Well, it can be sometimes, but good news, we can also compete with the Californian sun or the Côte d’Azur! (I promise I haven’t been paid by the Swedish Tourism Office to promote Sweden 😉 )
Anyhow, this amazing weather is just perfect for outdoor grilling or barbecuing! I’m not so much a meat person even though if I appreciate very a good meat dish or a very good thick high quality meat burger. But if I may choose, I wouldn’t go for these sausages you buy at the store for grilling. Often it’s an easy choice to go for them, but we don’t know what’s inside really.
On the contrary, I love fish. Somehow, it seems that I chose the right country to live in. Grilling fish is just fabulous. I remember this lovely and delicate taste of grilled tuna I had once at our friend’s, Mattias & Pauline, summer house. Since then, I have been dreaming of grilling fish. So, when my blogger friend Audrey from the blog hibiscus came over for dinner the other day, I picked this very nordic salmon burger recipe with a shrimp salad.
That night, I had the grilled fish I had always been dreaming about! I went for smoked salmon fillets (you can find them easily in Sweden but it might be more difficult in other parts of the world, if so grab the recipe here) and grilled the fillets on both sides for a few minutes. The result was even better than expected: between two sesame buns, the tenderness of the grilled salmon was enhanced with the sweetness of the shrimp apple and caper salad. I experienced Nordic food grilling at its best!
- 5.30 oz (150g) shrimps, choped roughly
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ apple, cored and diced into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 3.5 oz (100g) mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- 4 (preferably smoked) salmon fillets
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4 sesame buger buns
- ½ red onion, peele and sliced
- 8 crispy lettuce leaves
- For the shrimp salad: Mix shrimps, red onion, apple, capers, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the barbecue to high temperature. Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and season. Briefly grill the salmon untill it gets a nice color, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Open the buns and slightly toast each surface on the grill.
- Place the lettuce leaves on the bottom of the buns. Garnish generously with the shrimp salad. Peel the skin from the salmon and place the salmon on top of the shrimp salad and put the lid on.