A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a zucchini pie recipe that caught my attention. I kept it in mind until I finally tried it for a dinner with some friends. I thought I kind of remembered the recipe and I just grabbed the ingredients and prepared the pie without checking out the recipe again.
This association between ricotta cheese, salmon and zucchini with fresh dill sounded just perfect. The ricotta cheese gives some freshness to the pie while the zucchinis balances the salty aspect of the salmon.
Moreover, dill and salmon are best friends ever and enhance the taste of the whole dish. This salmon & zucchini ricotta pie is one of the best salmon pies I ever had and it won’t take you long to make it, so you have absolutely no excuse not to try it!
Funny thing, I finally read the recipe I had in mind in the beginning after all and it appeared that the recipe was a completely different version, using shrimps and peas but no salmon. Somehow I think my fantasy created the recipe you have now in front of you and I’m really happy with the result. Sometimes when it comes to cooking, all you need to do is being inspired and then following your ideas. Bon appétit!
- 1⅔ cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100g) butter, softened at room tempreature
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 7 oz (200g) smoked salmon
- 2 medium-sized zucchinis
- 1 cup (250g) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250g) heavy cream
- 1 small bouquet fresh dill
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- For the dough: dice the butter and mix all the ingredients together until they stick together and form a thick dough. Roll a large disk of 10,5 inches in diameter. Line a pie dish with the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Blend the ricotta cheese with the heavy cream. Spread on the bottom of the crust and place the smoked salmon on top. Scatter the dill over.
- Rince and cut the zucchinis into thin slices. Stir-fry them with the olive oil in a large pan, and season with salt and pepper. Place the zucchinis over the pie as described on the picture and bake for 20 minutes.