In my S’mores recipe I wanted to put everything I love, so I used a peanut butter cookie dough and added sone chocolate chips in it.
This month, my blogger friend J’amène le dessert who lives in Quebec organized the French Bataille Food #11. For this challenge, she chose a very North American theme: the S’mores! It’s actually quite a challenge for me since it’s the first time I’m baking S’mores. I knew these beauties existed and to me they were strongly connected with the idea of long summer nights, doing camping around a campfire with some friends. Well, it seems that my fantasy is a bit cheesy but who cares!
I used marshmallows and semi sweet chocolate for the topping and I also sprinkled some pretzels. They give this delicious sweet & salty taste to these cookie bars. An awesome recipe. I won’t say more, that’s your turn to bake now!
- 2 ¼ (270g) cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda + ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup salted butter (160g), room temperature
- ¼ cup (60g) peanut butter
- ¾ cup (135g) light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (175g) dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups marshmallows, cut in two
- 7 oz (200g) sweet chocolate , broken into pieces
- ¾ cup (50g) pretzel, roughly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Blend together the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter together with the peanut butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave. Pour the butter in a smaller bowl and whisk together with brown sugar until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the egg, the egg yolk and the vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a rubber spatula. Add the chocolate chips and try to disperse them among the dough.
- Grease and flour a square cake pan or cover with baking paper. Put the dough in the cake pan and press with hands to the edges, to be sure the dough fits the square form. The dough must be compact and flat.
- Place the sweet chocolate pieces on top, so that it almost covers the dough. Then add the marhmallows on the third laye and sprinkle the pretzels.
- Bake the bars for 25 minutes, covering with aluminium foil after 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares