Learn how to make cauliflower rice from scratch, following an easy step-by-step guide. Quick to prepare and healthy, this grain-free and low carb recipe is life changing. Serve as a side instead of rice, or use it as a veggie base for so many healthy meals options.
Cauliflower rice is one of the easiest recipe you can make! It’s become very popular over the last few years, but we often don’t think about it. And when we do, then we wonder if it is actually tasty or just another sad heathy food around. Well, I’m here to make you change your mind about it. Cauliflower rice is healthy, yes, but it’s also delicious when you know how to prepare it.
Whether you’re wondering how to make it from scratch or how to use it, I’ve got you covered with this complete and detailed guide to help you make cauliflower rice from scratch. Easy to prepare, gluten-free, low-carb, it creates healthy meals, replacing rice in rice bowls, burritos, curries and stews, and can even serve as a base for a wonderful cauliflower crust pizza.
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is not technically “rice”. It is raw cauliflower that is pulsed in a food processor or grated until it resembles to a fine couscous or rice texture. It is then usually lightly cooked and sautéed in a pan with seasonings in order to take off the raw, and sometimes bitter, bite.
Equipment you need to make cauliflower rice
- A food processor, or alternatively a box grater. You will use it to create the “cauliflower rice” (also called “cauliflower couscous”).
- A sauté pan.
How to make cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is extremely easy to make, even with minimal equipment, and it can be ready from start to finish within 15-20 minutes, depending on the seasoning.
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks (including the cores if you wish).
- Place into a food processor and pulse a few times until the cauliflower resembles the texture of rice. You can have it slightly coarse or go for a thinner texture, but be careful not to over-process or it will get mushy. In order to avoid this, it’s best to work in batches and pulse for just a few seconds at a time, grating the sides of the bowl in between to make the small cauliflower bites fall down at the bottom of the food processor.
- Press any excess moisture from the rice by transferring the cauliflower rice to a large paper towel and squeeze to remove any remaining water. This ensures no excess moisture remains, which can make your dish soggy. Note: This step is optional but recommended.
- Sauté the cauliflower rice. Heat olive oil in a large skillet placed over medium heat, add the grated cauliflower, and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly. Season with salt and pepper.
How to store and freeze cauliflower rice?
It’s usually better to prepare and eat cauliflower rice right way after you cooked it so it’s nice and slightly crispy. Raw cauliflower rice tends to develop a strong and unpleasant smell when you keep it in the fridge for over a day or so. Best way to store raw cauliflower is to freeze it right away after pressing out the moisture into an airtight container or ziploc bag. Cooked cauliflower rice however will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.
How to use cauliflower rice?
You can use it as a side dish, replacing rice in a recipe, or as a main prepared with other ingredients. Find below a few recipe ideas:
- Scrambled Egg Cauliflower Rice
- Vegan Chickpea Curry with Cauliflower Rice
- Healthy Cauliflower Rice with Peas
Explore around cauliflower…
I’ve got over 15 recipes with cauliflower on the site, and I can assure you than none of them is boring. Cauliflower is a wonderful versatile vegetable you can prepare in so many different ways. Go straight to the post 5 Fun & Healthy Ways To Cook with Cauliflower, or browse my favorite cauliflower recipes below for some inspiration:
- Vegetarian Cauliflower Burrito Bowl
- Lemon Cauliflower Halloumi Pita Pockets
- Cauliflower Steaks with Harissa Tahini Sauce
- Curried Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Comforting Cauliflower Lentil Curry (+ Video)
- Spicy Vegan Sweet Potato Cauliflower Tacos
How To Make Cauliflower Rice?
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Savory
- Diet: Vegetarian
Learn how to make cauliflower rice from scratch, following an easy step-by-step guide. Quick to prepare and healthy, this low carb recipe is life changing.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving (optional): scallions, lemon zest or juice
- Wash and thoroughly dry cauliflower, then remove the leaves, and chop into large pieces.
- Place the cauliflower pieces in a food processor* and pulse a few times until it has a nice, sandy texture. Work in batches if necessary and don’t over process or it will get mushy.
- Optional (but recommended): Press any excess moisture from the rice by transferring the cauliflower rice to a large paper towel and squeeze to remove any remaining water. This ensures no excess moisture remains, which can make your dish soggy.
- Heat one Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet placed over medium heat. Once hot, add the cauliflower rice, scallions and green peas, and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper, add lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir, and enjoy!
* If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the cauliflower with a box grater until it has a sandy texture.
Keywords: cauliflower rice
Did you make this recipe?
Lastly, if you make this How To Make Cauliflower Rice?, be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating, letting me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Thank you and enjoy!