Entirely vegan and gluten free, these superfood green energy balls are the perfect healthy snack on the go. Drizzle melted dark chocolate on top for extra taste.
It’s been a while since I last posted an energy ball recipe. As you probably noticed, I love making homemade healthy snacks that I can prepare in batches and then store in the refrigerator for the entire week or so. As a sweet tooth, it really helps me to keep control and resist to junk food when I feel a little bit hungry. And it always works better on me than grabbing a fruit.
What I like about energy balls:
- They are super cute + colorful, and also enough to grab 2 in a row
- They are healthy and loaded with superfood ingredients
- There are plenty of different recipes so you can never get tired of them
- They are SO easy and quick to prepare
- They bring me energy until the next meal so I don’t need to rush onto the first donut store
I am also very interested in superfoods (check my favorite spirulina smoothie bowl that I must have prepared a thousand times already). So when the Bristish brand Super U – Earth Natural Superfood contacted me to collaborate with them, it didn’t take me long to say yes. This brilliant start-up recently launched their activity by creating relevant natural superfood blends that can improve our overall health and well-being. All their products are organic and naturally sourced with the idea behind to encourage and contribute to global sustainability.
Not only I love their concept, how they thought about it in the first place, but I’m also seduced by their products and the passion from the two owners in their business. I received in my parcel from UK to Chicago an adorable personal note that kept me happy for the rest of the day. Nowadays more than ever in a world where everything becomes impersonal, the tiny personal attentions are the one that really matter.
So now let me tell you a word about their products, which are indeed a powder mix. For this recipe, I used Clean Greens – The Immunity Booster, a green powder blend made out of baobab, barley grass, chlorella, moringa, pineapple, wheatgrass, spirulina and camu camu. Clean Greens incorporates the most nutritious greens into one powerful blend that contributes to strengthen your immune system, improve digestion and fatigue. Neutral in taste, with a slightly hearthy taste with a hint of fruity sweetness, the blend is just perfect to add to your daily morning smoothies and smoothie bowls, or like here to your energy balls.
I combined here the superfood blend with matcha powder, that gives a lovely green color to the energy balls. If however you do not have the superfood blend and still want to make this smoothie, there is no need to purchase each ingredient separately. Simply replace the superfood blend with spirulina powder or chlorella. I personally prefer spirulina that has a slightly sweet taste whereas the chlorella tastes mostly like… grass (sorry!). But then it’s just a matter of personal taste and you might think differently.
Over than that, I use raw cashews and oats that bring energy on the long run, but also dates that are my only natural and unprocessed sweetener in the recipe. You can use more or less, depending on how sweet you like your energy balls. Also, you will notice a kick of ginger, that is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Last but not least, I drizzled some melted dark chocolate over the energy balls, as I like the combination between chocolate and matcha. And by the way, dark chocolate brings you magnesium so it’s a win-win for everyone.
If you like energy balls, you might also like:
- Healthy No-Bake Energy Bites
- Berry Bliss Balls
- Healthy Lemon Coconut Energy Balls
- Healthy Pumpkin Energy Bites
- Raw Spicy Lime Bites
- Mini Healthy Peanut Butter Pies
So many options, I know! As for now, I leave you with the recipe of my green energy balls that I will prepare again tomorrow for our student at our next Chicago Breakfast & Yoga Club. Enjoy!
- 15 large (200g) medjool dates, pitted
- 1⅓ cups (200g) raw cashews
- ½ cup (50g) oats, gluten free
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon Super U organic clean greens*
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Tablespoon chocolate chips, melted
- Soak the pitted dates in warm water for about 5 minutes. Drain and peel the dates.
- Pulse the oats and cashews in a food processor until they turn into a sandy texture. Add the dates, coconut oil, matcha, clean greens and ginger, and blend until everything has mixed together and form a nice sticky dough.
- Roll the dough into 16 equal sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, then drizzle over the energy balls.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to set, then store in a airtight container in the fridge.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links from which I earn a commission. These are products that I know, trust, and love.