Sushi donuts are the new sushi. Naturally gluten free and made in a vegan version here, they are also healthy, fun, and everyone love them!
It’s donuts week on the blog! After my easy chocolate frosted donuts (a classic recipe everyone should have) a few days ago, I’m back today with a new and rather original donut recipe with… sushi! Or sushi prepared into a doughnut pan to be exact. How fun is that!
Sushi donuts have made it to Chicago already but I haven’t got the occasion to try them yet. I’m pretty sure it exists in some other big(ger) cities as well, but not everywhere, and this is why I’m happy to share with you the recipe so you can make your own sushi donuts at home. So what are sushi donuts made of exactly? Well, it’s nothing but a classic sushi rice recipe with white vinegar and just a pinch of sugar. The only difference is the shape, a donut shape. So if you love sushi already, there are 100% chance you will like sushi donuts too!
Here I made these sushi donuts entirely vegan, topping them with avocado slices, pickled ginger, wasabi paste, and a few black and white sesame seeds. This recipe can serve as a base for all vegans and vegetarians out there, while the other ones can add any other topping of their choice to make them more sushi look-alike, such as fresh raw salmon or tuna, and even some sushi nori sheets if they want. Be creative, taking example of your best sushi place near by.
So now, how do we eat them? We usually use chopsticks for classic sushi. Should we use some for sushi donuts? My answer is yes. Sushi donuts are as sticky as classic sushi are, which makes them easy to grab with chopsticks and dip them into soy sauce. The only difference is that you will more likely need to slice your donut a few times with your chopsticks instead of eating it all at once. I dare you to try but I’d say it’s rather impossible – and not recommended anyway, you’re here to enjoy!
Next question: what if I don’t have a doughnut pan? How can I still prepare some sushi donuts? Good news, I thought about it already, and this is why…
… I’m launching a special GIVEAWAY on Instagram: I’m giving away a DOUGHNUT PAN, so you can make both your favorite chocolate donuts and these sushi donuts. Head on over Instagram to enter the giveaway.
Obs. that shipping is worldwide, so wherever you are you get a chance to win. The winner will be announced next week (September 15th). Don’t wait: head on over Instagram and enter the giveaway already now.
- 2 cups (400g) uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
- 3 cups (250 ml) water
- ½ cup (120 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (50g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- Black and white sesame
- Soy sauce
- For the rice: rinse the rice in a strainer or colander until the water runs clear. Combine with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this in to the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools.
- Spoon the rice into a donut pan, stacking the rice as much as possible. Turn over onto a serving tray, and simply add the topping of your choice: sliced avocado, pickled ginger, black and white sesame, and more* if you wish. Serve with soy sauce and enjoy with chopsticks!