Sushi donuts are the new sushi. Naturally gluten free and made in a vegan version here, they are also healthy, fun, and everyone love them!
For the rice:
- 2 cups (400g) uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
- 3 cups (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the toppings*:
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- Black and white sesame
- Soy sauce
- For the rice: rinse the rice in a strainer or colander until the water runs clear. Combine with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this in to the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools.
- Spoon the rice into a donut pan, stacking the rice as much as possible. Turn over onto a serving tray, and simply add the topping of your choice: sliced avocado, pickled ginger, black and white sesame, and more* if you wish. Serve with soy sauce and enjoy with chopsticks!
* Note here that this is a vegan version of the sushis, but you could add some smoked salmon or raw tuna if you would like to. Also feel free to vary the toppings depending on your mood, using cucumber slices instead of avocado for instance…