Root vegetables are an easy comfort dish, super healthy and high in fiber to boot!
Winter is not over yet, at least not in Sweden! This year it seems like the weather is playing with us alternating continuously between beautiful cold snowy days and slightly warmer grey days that take the snow away for a little while only. Definitely, my favorite is the first one!
I kind of get used to the Swedish winter after several years here now. We learn how to trick the lack of light by training as much as possible, make a lot of cozy fikas (the best Swedish coffee break!) with friends, and also change our food habits!
This is one of the first thing I noticed when six years back from now, I decided to move to Sweden. I arrived in January with tones of snow everywhere (it was magical!) and I suddenly found myself craving for some fulfilling food. I never really experienced that before when living in France, but somehow I like the idea that our bodies adapt to nature.
Good thing, Sweden has many winter vegetables – actually root vegetables. They are tasty, healthy, fulfilling, and you can prepare them in many different ways (soup, roasted in the oven, mashed, etc.).
Personally, I like to prepare them in a vegetarian option, by simply roasting them in the oven with some feta cheese and honey. Season with garlic, thyme, pepper & salt, and the dish is ready. Easy, right? A lovely and colorful comfort dish that will make you love winter again!
- 6 carrots
- 6 parsnips
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper
- 7 oz (200g) feta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (225°C) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel the vegetables and cut them into sticks.
- Toss all the vegetables with the oil, garlic and thyme in the baking tray. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 30 minutes until starting to soften and turn golden.
- Remove the tray from the oven, sprinkle some feta cheese over the vegetables, drizzle with honey, and return to the oven for 10 minutes more until golden.