Here is a recipe I whipped up from scratch. Something impossible to fail, which taste a little bit special nonetheless.
I was supposed to bring a cake for my friend Nanda’s 30th birthday (hello dear!) but I didn’t have so much time those days because of work obligations. So, I had to go for an easy baking recipe.
I added some yoghurt in the batter to give a moist texture to the cake and swapped one third of the flour with almond flour. For the rest, if you know how crazy I am about oranges in my recipes, you won’t be surprised to find some orange juice and zests in this one. However, I would normally go for dark chocolate but I had a special craving for nutella that day. It cannot kill me, right?
The crafting of the recipe went very well, but I had a bad experience with the baking time. I was probably in a hurry, so I took the cake out of the oven a little too early and didn’t notice it was not not baked through and through. It’s only after a while that I discovered the raw batter underneath and had to bake the cake a second time. Because of that, I’m not so sure about the required baking time and I would recommend you be very careful. In the end, the cake didn’t look pretty because of the rebaking and I thought I would never put it on the blog. But then I tasted it, and so did all the guests at the birthday party. People loved it. I had some more for breakfast the following day and it tasted even better. Very moist and absolutely delicious. Give it a try!
- ½ cup (120 ml) Turkish yoghurt
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) white sugar
- 1 ⅓ cup (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (120) almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons nutella
- ½ orange (zests + juice)
- In a large bowl, blend together the Turkish yoghurt, sugar, flour, almond flour, baking powder, the eggs and sunflower oil until pale and smooth.
- Transfer one third of the batter in a smaller bowl and blend roughly with the nutella.
- Grate the skin of the orange half and juice it. Add the zests and the juice to the batter in the large bowl and stir.
- In a greased loaf tin, pour the orange batter and the nutella batter in layers.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 60 minutes (see my comments above) at 400 °F (200°C). Allow to cool completely before serving.