Five star salmon recipe with delicious sweet thai chili sauce, lime, cashews and fresh coriander.
A Thai recipe on my blog… how surprising, right? Actually not so much when you know how Swedes love thai food. Once you arrive in Sweden, the second thing you see just after discovering the classic Swedish recipes (kanelbullar!) is the omnipresence of Thai restaurants everywhere.
Thailand has become a very popular destination for the Swedes, especially in winter when it is all dark in here in Sweden and we are all craving for some sun bath. There are many direct flights from Sweden to Thailand everyday, and when you ask a Swede about the trips he did in his life, he will almost every time tell you that he has been to Thailand – actually often he will tell you how often he usually goes to Thailand.
Due to these many trips, love has been happening between Swedes and Thai more than once! As a result, there are many Swedish-Thai couples in Sweden, and most of the time, the Thai bring with them what they do best: massage and food. I love them both, but if I have to choose I always go for food!
I actually entirely discovered Thai food when moving to Sweden six years ago now. I am crazy about sweet and savory flavors so I loved this kind of food straight away. With the profusion of Thai restaurants and take-away everywhere, it kind of became usual food for me in Sweden as well.
Now, what about combining the best of the two countries: salmon and sweet chili sauce? I got the idea from my Swedish colleague Sofia at the office (Hi there!) and I loved it straight away. In this dish, the combination of flavors is just amazing: a tender salmon fillet glazed with a sweet chili sauce and lime, on top of which you sprinkle some crushed cashews and fresh coriander.
Try it once, I am pretty sure you will soon adopt the recipe. A wonderful way to impress your guests with a surprisingly very easy recipe!
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon agave syrup (or honey)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ small red chili pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pieces of salmon (6oz/150g each)
- ½ cup (75g) cashews, crushed
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- In a bowl, combine sweet chili sauce, lime juice, and agave syrup (or honey). Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and add minced red chili pepper and garlic.
- In a shallow baking dish, place the 4 pieces of salmon and cover with two thirds of the marinade. Allow to marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C) and bake the salmon for about 15-20 minutes, until tender but not over-baked.
- Heat the remaining sauce in a small saucepan until you get a slightly thick consistency.
- Serve the salmon in a dish or a plate, covering with the remaining Thai sauce. Sprinkle some crushed cashews on top, garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy with a side of rice.