This savory Swedish anchovy and onion pie is a very easy recipe that won’t take you long to prepare. It is perfect for a quick dinner during the week or as a starter for a three course menu!
Two of my Swedish foodie friends who have been previously involved in the Masterchef TV-show competition just finished to write their second cookbook together (Jennie and Stina). Before the releasing, they needed to try all the recipes one more time and I volunteered for this experience.
Of course, I asked them if I could try a typical Swedish recipe so that I could share it on the blog with you. And I got to bake this beautiful anchovy and onion pie. I was supposed to follow the recipe instructions carefully and report the last details to correct before sending the book to print. Well, you will be happy to learn that there was absolutely nothing wrong with this recipe!
The pie crust will take you 5 minutes to bake and tastes amazing, while the ingredients proportions are perfect for the 8.6 inches diameter form (if you use a bigger form, I would recommend you add one more onion and maybe one more egg for the filling as well). And most importantly: the pie tastes amazing! I used some Swedish anchovies for this recipe – which are a bit more sweet than the ones we are usually used to – and they paired perfectly the caramelized onions.
- 1 stick (125g) unsalted butter, diced
- 1½ cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 4 onions, peeled an finely choped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ tespoon salt
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 4 Tablespoons (60g) anchovy broth
- 1 large cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tespoon salt
- 2 pinches of freshly ground white pepper
- romaine lettuce (optional)
- For the pie crust: preheat the oven to 390 F. Mix quickly the butter with the flour and the water until the ingredients stick together and form a firm dough. Roll a large disk and line a spring form with the crust, 8.6 inches in diameter (not bigger). Bake the pie crust in the oven for 15-20 minutes and let cool.
- For the onions: Fry the onions in the butter over low heat until the onions have softened, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and salt, then cook for 5 more minutes. Place the caramelized onions onto the pie crust and distribute anchovy fillets over.
- For the filling: stir together the anchovy broth with the heavy cream and the eggs, then season with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the onions and bake the pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and garnish with some romaine lettuce (optional).
NB: For this Swedish anchovy and onion pie I used the beautiful pastel plates from En snyggare tisdag
If you liked this Swedish anchovy and onion pie, I also suggest you try my extravagant onion and ricotta pie, which is a bit more a South Europa style recipe and which is made with a whole-wheat flour crust (check the recipe here).