Tomorrow is the 14th of July in France, the French National Day or Bastille Day, which commemorates the beginning of the French Revolution with the storming of the Bastille. This year, I am fortunate to be able to celebrate with friends and family and to enjoy the fireworks!
For this occasion, I’m happy to share with you a beautiful strawberry lemon layer cake. I baked it twice already, and so far it has been a huge success. The lemon cake is incredibly moist and matches perfectly the fresh strawberries, while the cream cheese frosting balances it all.
This layer cake recipe is as easy as it gets, probably the easiest one I ever tried. But trust me, the result will impress your guests. The perfect cake for special occasions.
Ingredients (Serves 8-10):
For the lemon cake:
- 2 large organic lemons
- 5 large eggs
- 225g salted butter
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
- 200g strawberry jam
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
For the frosting:
- 225g cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 115g unsalted butter
- 200g confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 pinch of salt
1. For the lemon cake: preheat the oven to 356 F. Grease 2 round baking pans, 7 x 2 inches each. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the flour with the baking powder. Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave. In the meantime, gratte the skin of the fresh lemons and juice them. Stir in te butter, zest and lemon juice into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake them for approx. 30 minutes. You can assume that the cakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, covering each cake with cling film. It will give some moistness to the cakes.
2. For the frosting: using a handled or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 full times. Add confectioner’s sugar, 1 tablespoon cream, vanilla extract and salt, with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
3. For the filling and to assemble the cake, trim the domed tops of the cake with a large serrated knife. Place one layer on a plate or cake stand. With an offset spatula, spread the top with the strawberry jam. Place the second layer on top and spread the frosting heavenly on the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with fresh strawberries and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.