Lemon and poppy seed together take pancakes to the next level. A must try!
Usually my boyfriend is a specialist when it comes to American pancakes so all I need to think about is to style them a bit with the topping and pour some maple syrup (I LOVE maple syrup). And then, eat them of course! Sunday brunches are pretty sweet actually!!
But for a change, I decided to make my own pancake recipe and twist them, using the poppy seeds I got from my partner L’île aux épices. To me, poppy seeds have to be used with lemon when it comes to baking. They go so well together! I also wanted to come up with healthy pancakes, so I used some Greek yogurt and two different flours: whole wheat flour and rye flour. But you can totally use whole wheat flour only if you wish!
When pancakes were ready to serve, I just grabbed one on the go (I couldn’t wait!) and being really happy with the result I started the shooting session with my friend Evvi, who is a professional photographer. We had so much fun together! She taught me some tricks regarding the use of my new DSLR and how to improve myself in food photography.
I can also recommend Food Photography – From snaphots to great shots, written by Nicole S. Young. This book is really useful! Lucky enough, I could also use for this shooting session my new Kosta Boda plates that I got for my birthday from my friends Dave and Mo. Aren’t they beautiful?
Then it was about time to eat the pancakes! Oh my goodness, seriously these lemon poppy seeds yogurt pancakes are amazing. They are really thick, exactly how we love them. And of course the duo lemon-poppy seeds was a success, as always, and gives this freshness taste to the pancakes! Just add some blackberries or blueberries, drizzle some maple syrup and enjoy!
- 1 cup (120g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (60g) rye flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons (45g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon zests
- ½ cup (60g) greek yogurt
- 1 cup (120 ml) skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour with the rye flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zests and rub together with your fingers until fragant, then whisk into the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, lemon juice, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing only until combined. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ cup of pancake batter onto the pan. When the pancake start to bubble up, flip and cook until it is slightly golden brown. Serve with maple syrup and fresh blackberries or blueberries.