Cherry tomatoes, pesto, cheese and aromatic herbs – all the good summer things brought together to create the perfect Mediterranean Pizza Star Ring!
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups (340g) whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) warm water
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the filling*:
- 5 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10–15 cherry tomatoes
- 3–4 Tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 10–15 mini mozzarella balls
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon black sesame (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
For the crust:
- In a large bowl mix the flour, instant dry yeast, salt and sugar. Pour in the water and olive oil and mix until combined.
- Knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes, and let rise in the bowl under cover for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 14 inch (35 cm) circle on a large sheet of parchment paper, then gently transfer the paper with the dough on top onto a baking sheet.
- Place a medium-sized bowl upside down in the center of the circle, and using a sharp knife, make 4 traversal cuts into the center circle.
For the filling:
- Spread the pesto around the center “star”, then top with zucchini slices, cherry tomato, ricotta cheese, and mini mozzarella balls.
- Bring one point of the center star over the filling as well as bringing the outer edge of pastry inwards. Press the two together and continue until you have a wreath.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with black sesame.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Garnish with fresh basil, toasted pine nuts, and enjoy warm or lukewarm.
* Adjust ingredient quantities as it suits you, this crown is very forgiving.