This crunchy Thai quinoa salad served with a ginger peanut butter dressing is a lovely twist to the classic Pad Thai. Entirely vegan and gluten-free, this recipe is packed with veggies, plant-based protein and essential nutrients.
For the Thai quinoa salad:
- 1 cup (180g) quinoa, uncooked
- 2 bell pepper (one red and one green), thinly sliced or diced
- ½ medium red cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup (40g) peanuts, raw and unsalted
For the peanut dressing:
- ½ cup (125g) creamy peanut butter
- 1,5 to 2 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoon(s) Sriracha or any hot chile sauce
- Water, as needed to thin out the sauce
For the quinoa salad:
- On a medium pot placed over high heat, add quinoa and double its volume of water. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork. Cover and allow quinoa to sit in the pot for 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa to a large mixing bowl and let cool completely before using.
- Add bell peppers, shredded cabbage and grated carrots to the cooled quinoa, and set aside.
For the ginger peanut sauce*:
- Warm up the peanut butter 10-15 seconds in the microwave to soften it up a little bit if needed.
- In a small bowl, combine together the peanut butter, agave syrup, lime juice, sesame oil, rice vinegar, fresh ginger and Sriracha sauce. Add water, one Tablespoon at a time, until you obtain the desired consistency.
- Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. Serve with chopped scallions, cilantro, and toasted peanuts. Transfer to 2-3 bowls, sprinkle with a bit more peanuts and fresh cilantro.
* You can store any leftovers of the ginger peanut sauce in an airtight container / Mason jar for up to a week.
Keywords: Thai Quinoa Salad