This hearty, fragrant and healthy lentil curry in a creamy coconut milk sauce is naturally vegan and gluten free. Serve with a side of white rice spiced with cardamom.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2–3 (about 9 oz / 250g) carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 oz / 793g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (or curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) dried green lentils
- 1 can (15oz / 425g) coconut milk, full-fat
- 3 cups (75 cl) water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and cook until slightly golden. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook for 1 more minute, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 last minute.
- Pour the can of crushed tomatoes and add the ginger, turmeric, salt. Stir well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the lentils, 3 cups of water, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer for about 40-45 minutes stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft and carrots cooked through. Add a little bit of water if the preparation becomes too dry.
- Once cooked through, add the coconut milk and bring the pot back to a simmer for a few minutes. Serve immediately, with white rice and fresh cilantro.