Perfect thin vegan chocolate crepes made with just a few ingredients and served with a quick and easy homemade caramel sauce. To die for!
For the vegan chocolate crepes:
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 cup (360 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) agave or maple syrup
For the vegan caramel:
- 1 cup (200g) dark brown sugar
- 2 cups (50 cl) coconut cream (the solid part of coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- VEGAN CHOCOLATE CREPES: in a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until no lumps remain. Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a drop of vegetable oil in small skillet over medium high heat. Pour the batter into the center of the hot skillet, letting it spread outward to create a thin layer of crepe. Cook for about 1 minute, then flip and cook for a few seconds only. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- VEGAN CARAMEL: place sugar, coconut cream and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat slowly while stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken further as it cools. To test the consistency, spread a little sauce onto a plate and place in the freezer for a few minutes. If the caramel doesn’t thicken (enough), simmer the sauce for a little longer. Stir 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract into finished caramel sauce. Pour into a jar and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve the chocolate crepes with the caramel sauce and enjoy!