This easy 5-minute vegan cashew basil dressing will soon become your new best friend. Ready in no time, it elevates your salads and roasted veggies, and you can even turn it into a vegan cashew basil pesto version to serve with your pasta.
- ¼ cup (65g) raw cashews or unsweetened cashew butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh basil leaves, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2–4 Tablespoons water
For the vegan pesto version, add:
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- If using whole cashews, place them in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes minutes minimum or ideally 2 hours.
- Drain, place cashews in a food processor (or cashew butter directly) together with basil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Process until smooth, adding water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, to reach desired consistency and stopping to scrape sides of the food processor as needed.
For the vegan pesto version:
- Add nutritional yeast to the other ingredients (minus the water) and process until nearly smooth. You want to keep a thicker and chunkier texture than you would have for the dressing.
To store: Transfer pesto to a mason jar with lid on, then chill up to 2 days.
Keywords: Vegan Cashew Basil Dressing