Jazz up your avocado toast with some homemade beet hummus and enjoy it for breakfast or light lunch, like Millennials do. Vegan and nutritious, this easy pick-me-up snack recipe is loaded with healthy fats, plant-based protein and very nutritious.
For the beet hummus:
- 1/4 pound (115g) beets (about 2 medium sized beets), cooked, peeled, and diced*
- 1 Tablespoon tahini paste
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 slices seeded bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- Fresh cilantro, optional
- For the beet hummus, place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired.
- Use straight away or for best results, chill and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Smear toasted bread slices with beet hummus and top with avocado slices, and cilantro, and other toppings of your choice. Season with flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
* Choose your favorite cooking method: roasted in the oven or cooked in boiling water.
Keywords: avocado toast, beet hummus