Fancy some fusion cuisine today? Try this Thai green curry asparagus pasta, an elegant yet easy meal that combines the best of Thai food and Italian cuisine, with a fresh spring touch.
- 1 pound (450g) fettuccine*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced (or 1/2 red onion, diced)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons green curry paste
- 3 Thai basil leaves**
- 1 pound (450g) green asparagus, divided and diced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut cream (creamy part of coconut milk)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cashews, toasted
- Black sesame (optional)
- A few spoonfuls of coconut cream, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallot, garlic, and green curry paste. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until shallots are soft and tender.
- Add half of the asparagus (keep the ones with the head for later) to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the coconut milk, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer over medium heat fo 5 to 10 minutes, or until the asparagus are soft but still green in color.
- Remove Thai basil leaves, then transfer asparagus to a blender, and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add lime juice and give a good stir. If too thick, add a little bit water or coconut milk, one Tablespoon at a time.
- Wipe the skillet, then heat the remaining olive oil. Once hot, add the remaining half of asparagus and sauté on medium heat until tender, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and serve with the Thai green curry sauce. Add asparagus heads on top, sprinkle with toasted cashews, and enjoy!
* I went for fettuccine here but you can use any pasta of your choice: tagliatelles, spaghettis, penne… Another option consists in using rice noodles for a 100% vegan option (the regular pasta contain eggs, rice noodles don’t).
** Another option consists in using fresh lemongrass instead of basil leaves. If so, start with slicing one stick of lemongrass lengthwise and smash it before adding it to the pan. It’s the best way to help lemongrass release all its fresh, lemony flavors.
Recipe inspired and adapted from Full of Plants.
Keywords: Thai green curry asparagus pasta