Cheesy quesadillas filled with sweet potatoes and black beans, coated in a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce. A lovely Asian twist to the recipe.
For the quesadillas:
- 4–8 wheat tortillas
- 2–3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 spring onion sprig, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 can (450g) cooked black beans, rinced and drained
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup (50g) grated cheese
- Sesame seeds (optional)
For the teriyaki sauce*:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the diced sweet potatoes all over and bake for 20-25 minutes until tender, stirring once or twice.
- Transfer to a medium size bowl, add the baked black beans, and set aside.
- For the sauce: whisk all the ingredients in a measuring cup, and pour over the sweet potatoes and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with a little bit of butter**.
- Add the tortilla, sprinkle some grated cheese over and top with a single layer of the filling. Place second tortilla over mixture and cook until golden brown. Flip to other side and cook until golden brown. Wipe the pan clean and repeat with the other tortillas until no filling is remaining.
- Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board and cut into wedges***. Sprinkle with additional spring onions, sesame seeds, guacamole, fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
* Or you can use store-bought teriyaki sauce, about 1/2 cup (120 ml).
** The key to a crispy quesadilla is less fat in the pan, not more. Too much fat will make your quesadilla soggy instead of crispy. Use just enough to coat the bottom of your skillet — about 1/2 teaspoon of butter or oil. Warm it in the skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
*** If preparing several quesadillas for a crowd, slide the un-cut quesadillas onto a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F (100°C) oven, then slice into wedges just before serving.
Keywords: quesadillas, sweet potato quesadillas