These Swedish orange cardamom buns are fluffy knots of sweetened dough, lightly spiced with a cardamom-orange filling, and topped with a zesty orange glaze.
For the buns:
- 1.2 oz (35g) fresh yeast
- 1½ cup (36 cl) milk
- ½ cup (120g) butter, melted
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon crushed cardamom
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 6¼ cups (750g) all-purpose flour
For the filling:
- 1 Tablespoon freshly ground cardamom
- ½ cup (120g) butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (50g) white sugar
- 2 Tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup (6 cl) water
- ⅓ cup (50g) sugar + 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1/2 Tablespoon orange zest
- For the dough: crumble the fresh yeast in a bowl and stir in a few Tablespoons of milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes before using, until yeast is completely dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the yeast, milk, and combine with melted butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead the dough for approx. 10-15 minutes (very important), by hand or using a stand mixer.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes, until the dough has almost doubled in size.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: crush the cardamom seeds with a rolling pin (the seeds need to be crushed right before use as they lose their intense flavor if left for too long) and mix them with butter and sugar. Add the freshly grated orange zest, and stir well.
- Flip the dough onto a floured worktop. Knead a little to reshape it roll into a large rectangle.
- Spread the cardamom-orange filling on half of the dough lengthwise.
- Fold the empty side onto the filled one.
- Using your ruler and sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut 2 cm strips sideways. You should have about a dozen of strips.
- To shape the buns: starting from the end, wrap one strip around the tips of your thumb and four fingers (three if you have big hands) twice, twisting slightly as you wrap, then slip your thumb out of the roll, loop the strip around one last time then tuck the end and your thumb loop into the bottom. If you’re having trouble, please re-watch the GIF below. Repeat with all strips.
- Place buns on a previously lined baking sheets, giving enough space for dough to rise and spread during proofing and baking. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For the glaze: heat water and sugar in a small saucepan on high until sugar has dissolved completely. Stir and set syrup aside. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining Tablespoon of sugar with cardamom and orange zest.
- Bake the orange-cardamom buns for 7-8 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Immediately brush with syrup and sprinkle the sugar-cardamom-orange zest mixture over. Let cool completely before serving.
Keywords: Swedish cardamom buns