Celebrate summer with this beautiful Swedish Midsummer Cake (Midsommartårta), full of fresh flavors: strawberries, lemon curd and cream cheese frosting.
For the cake:
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (180g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (345g) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
- 3 medium lemons, juice and zests
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces (224g) full-fat brick style cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups (350g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup (150g) lemon curd
- 2 cups (approx. 300g) fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and lightly flour two 9×2 inch (23×5 cm) cake pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
For the cake batter:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until creamy. Add both sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, and beat on medium speed until everything is combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring well.
- Add the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and stir with a rubber spatula until everything is just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before assembling the cake.
For the frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 full minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 or 2 Tablespoon cream, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
For the filling and assembling the cake:
- Using a large serrated knife, trim the tops off the cake layers to create a flat surface.
- Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Evenly cover the top with the lemon curd, then add a layer of sliced strawberries, and one layer of cream cheese frosting.
- Top with 2nd layer, and cover with more frosting, on top and if desired on the sides if you want a more finished visual (I like mine half naked, making it more rustic). Cover with whole and half strawberries, and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before serving or the cake may fall apart as you cut.
- To prepare your own buttermilk, pour 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a measuring cup and top with milk up to 1 cup. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes. Give another stir, and it’s ready to use.