This gingerbread cake is perfection. Super moist, tender, and mildly spiced, this holiday dessert is sure to win over your guests.
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (100 ml) milk
- 3 Tablespoons (50 ml) strong coffee*
- 2 cloves
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (90g) butter
- 1/2 cup (90g) light or dark brown sugar**
- 6 ounces (180g) honey
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup (80g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (80g) rye flour, or whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- In measuring cup placed in the microwave, heat the milk with the coffee. Infuse the cloves, and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter with sugar and honey. Let cool slightly for about 2 minutes, then add the egg, whisking vigorously to prevent from cooking the egg.
- In a medium bowl, mix both flours, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Pour the butter-honey mixture into the dry ingredients, then slowly pour in the milk, stirring well.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C) and grease a 9×4-inch (24 x 10 cm) loaf pan.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool completely into the loaf pan before serving.
* If you do not like coffee, simply replace with the same quantity of milk, for a total of 2/3 cup milk.
** Keep in mind than brown sugar will make your gingerbread cake darker and stronger in flavor.