This streusel cinnamon swirl coffee cake is a simple recipe packed with cinnamon flavors. It has a light and moist texture, with an irresistible crunchy cinnamon sugar crumb topping.
For the cinnamon swirl coffee cake:
- 5 ounces (140g) plain yogurt
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil, neutral in taste (canola, sunflower…)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the streusel topping:
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease the bottom and the sides of a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the plain yogurt. Add sugar, eggs, and vegetable oil. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir well.
- Scoop ⅓ of the cake batter into a small bowl gently stir in the cinnamon until well-mixed.
- Pour one layer of the plain cake batter into the prepared loaf pan, then spoon a few spoonfuls of the cinnamon cake batter. Repeat until all the batter has been used up, and make a few gentle swirls by inserting a knife into the batter.
- For the streusel topping: Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the cold, cubed butter, and mix with your finger tips. The texture should remain coarse and resemble to thin crumbs (don’t overmix).
- Sprinkle the streusel over the cake in an even layer, and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top is browning too fast, tent it with a piece of aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Keywords: Streusel Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake