French toasts for breakfast is always a good idea: I like them fluffy and buttery, topped with fresh berries, whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
For the French toasts:
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk (semi-skimmed or whole milk)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 thick slices white bread (1 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 Tablespoon butter or non stick cooking spray for greasing the pan/griddle
For the strawberries:
- 5 cup (150g) strawberries
- 1/2 lemon (juice+ zest)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- A handful fresh mint leaves
- Whipped cream
- Maple syrup
- Preheat a griddle or a large skillet over medium-low eat.
- In a small shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, sugar and cinnamon, until well combined.
- Grease the griddle or frying pan with some butter.
- Place bread into batter to coat one side. Flip over and repeat with the other side.
- Place on the heated griddle/frying pan and fry for about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and fry the second slice until golden.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, adding butter or cooking spray to the griddle/skillet if needed.
- For the strawberries: slice strawberries and place them in a shallow dish. Cover with lemon juice, add the lemon zest, sprinkle some sugar and add the fresh mint leaves. Mix carefully.
- Serve the French toasts immediately with the strawberries, and accompany with whipped cream, maple syrup and fresh mint.