These spinach chickpea pancakes are the perfect green pancakes recipe you were looking for all along. Made right in the blender, they are healthy, nutritious, loaded with greens, and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. Baby and toddler approved!
- 1 ½ cup (180g) chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 1/3 cup (100g) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (240 ml) plant-based milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + extra for cooking
- In a medium size bowl, combine chickpea flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a food processor, pulse spinach together with a little bit of milk until completely dissolved. Pour in the egg, remaining milk, olive oil and mix. Finally add the chickpea flour mixture and blend again for about 30 seconds, until well-combined. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil a large skillet over low-medium heat*, and once hot add 2 Tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side; then place the cooked pancakes onto a plate covered with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Garnish with sweet or savory topping of your choice**, and enjoy!
* Make sure the heat is not too hot, or your pancakes will turn golden brown instead of green.
** To recreate the toppings in the photos, top your green pancakes with fresh ricotta cheese, green peas and edamame. Garnish with spring onions, sprouts and/or mixed greens, season with freshly black pepper, and drizzle some olive oil.
Keywords: Spinach pancakes