Let’s go veggie today, with these amazing pita pockets filled with roasted lemon cauliflower, halloumi cheese, and a delicious vegan aioli made with a secret ingredient (note that only the aioli is vegan here).
For the pita pockets:
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Olive oil, for roasting
- 3 large lemons
- 4–6 pita bread
- 4–6 large slices of Halloumi cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper
For the vegan aioli:
- 3 Tablespoons aquafaba (liquid drained from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil or any other kind of flavorless oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line two oven-proof trays (one large + one small) with parchment paper or a silpat.
- For the roasted lemon and cauliflower : lay the cauliflower florets out on the large tray and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Halve the lemons and place them face down on the sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, or until the cauliflower is golden. Halfway through the cooking time, toss the cauliflower and press the lemons over the cauliflower florets.
- Lay the Halloumi cheese slices on the small tray, and grill on both sides until they turn slightly golden (about 5 minutes each side).
- Prepare the vegan aioli: pour the aquafaba, vinegar, mustard and salt into a bowl and blitz for a second with an immersion blender until everything is combined. Keep the immersion blender running constantly and VERY slowly drizzle in the oil, making sure it is fully combined as you go. If you add it too fast, the whole thing will turn liquidy and isn’t redeemable. If you find you’re getting a bit of oil on the top, stop adding the oil and just blend for a little while before continuing. The mayonnaise will suddenly turn thick. Add in the lemon juice and garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Warm up the pita bread in the oven for a few minutes.
- Garnish each pita pocket with halloumi cheese, roasted lemon cauliflower pockets. Drizzle the vegan aioli and garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!