Quick and easy to put together, this colorful red lentil dish is slightly spicy and rich with the fall flavors. It’s also naturally vegan and gluten free!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon strong red curry + 3 teaspoons medium curry
- 1 cup (150g) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cm ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil
- 2/3 cup (100g) hazelnuts, roughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) pumpkin, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and melt the onion until translucent.
- Add 1 teaspoon of strong red curry, then pour the red lentils and stir.
- Pour 2 cups of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, while stirring to prevent the lentils from sticking. Add some water if needed.
- Add the remaining spices (curry, cumin, sliced ginger) and stir again. Season with salt and pepper*.
- In a medium pan, drizzle one tablespoon of rapeseed oil and toast the hazelnuts for 1 or 2 minutes. Add honey and set aside.
- In a clean pan, drizzle the remaining rapeseed oil and warm it with the butter. Add the pumpkin dice and stir-fry them on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, until they become tender.
- Take the pan off the heat, add the hazelnuts to the roasted pumpkin dices and stir.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves in the red lentil dahl and stir.
- Serve the lentil dahl, and top with the roasted pumpkin dice and hazelnuts.
* It’s very important to season with spices first, otherwise you won’t find the dish spicy enough.