This amazing maple pecan banana bread features some crunchy pecans and a creamy maple icing with a hint of salt to cut the extra sweetness.
For the pecan banana bread:
- 1 ½ cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup (40g) pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ⅔ cup (135g) sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ½ cup (120ml) buttermilk* (or substitute 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice + 1/2 cup milk)
For the maple icing:
- 3 Tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (120ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 ¾ cup (195g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease bottom and edges of a 9×5-inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
- For the banana bread, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add pecans and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Mix in the egg. Puree the bananas with a fork and add them to the mixture. Pour in maple syrup, buttermilk, and stir.*
- Add dry ingredients, alternating until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely, about 2 hours.
- For the maple icing, melt butter and maple syrup together in a small saucepan over low heat, whisking occasionally. Once butter has melted, remove from heat and whisk in the sifted confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Let cool down for 3-4 minutes, then pour over the banana bread. The icing quickly thickens, so feel free to reheat in the microwave or on the stove if needed. Allow about 30 minutes for the maple icing to set and harden.
* Make your own buttermilk is very easy. Just measure one Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and cover with milk until you reach the ½ cup level. Give a good stir, then let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Keywords: Maple Pecan Banana Bread