World’s Best Cookie Alert! Bake it like NY’s Levain Bakery: a giant, thick cookie, crispy golden brown on the outside with a soft gooey center inside. To die for!
- 1 cup (2 sticks/240g) unsalted butter, softened and diced
- 3/4 cup (135g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (about 120g) homemade cake flour*
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups (250g) walnut halves
- 2 cups (350g) large chocolate chips/chunks**
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place butter into bowl and turn mixer on low.
- Add sugars and beat butter until smooth on medium speed, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and beat on medium just until incorporated with butter and sugars, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the mixer off. Add the homemade cake flour*, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse the dry ingredients on low until the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour the walnuts and chocolate chips into the batter, and stir with a rubber spatula until spread evenly into the batter.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 6 oz/170g each (or half of it if you want regular size cookies). Use your hands to shape cookies, not a cookie or ice cream scoop. The cookies are meant to be roughly shaped. Do not flatten the dough.
- Bake 4 cookies per pan, for 11 minutes. The cookies are done when the top and bottom parts are slightly golden. Do not over bake. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
* Homemade cake flour: measure 1 cup (120g) of all-purpose flour. Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour, and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the flour. Sift the flour and cornstarch mixture over a medium sized bowl 3 or 4 times. You now have cake flour!
** The original Levain Bakery Cookie recipe calls for milk chocolate chips, but you could go for dark chocolate chips or use chunks instead of chips.
This beautiful Levain Bakery Cookies is suggested by A Bountiful Kitchen.
Keywords: Levain bakery, chocolate chip cookies