Made with a whole wheat crust, this easy apricot galette with lavender is loaded with summer flavors. Vanilla ice cream makes a perfect companion to the soft and warm apricots.
For the whole wheat crust:
- 1 ⅓ Cups (170g) White Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 8 Tablespoons (115g) unsalted Butter, cold, cut into cubes
- ½ Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2–4 Tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 8–10 apricots, halved
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon (zest + juice)
- 1 teaspoon lavender extract (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons dry lavender flowers
- 3–4 Tablespoons ground almond
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- For the crust: add the flour, salt and sugar to a medium bowl and whisk together. Cut the butter into cubes, then add to the flour mixture. Cut the butter into the flour using your hands until the butter is no larger than peas. Add the cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water ;stir in. Add the additional tablespoons of water if necessary for the dough to hold together. Shape into a circle and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: in a large bowl, mix the halved apricots together with sugar, fresh lemon juice and zest, lavender extract and lavender flowers. Toss well to coat the fruits and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), and line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch (30 cm) circle. Trim the rim of the circle if needed, in order to make a clean cut. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Pour some ground almond into the center of the dough,leaving a 2-3 inch border all around, then spoon the fruits (not the juice, this to prevent the dough from becoming soggy) on top of the ground almond.
- Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruits, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar on top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.